Water changes during treatment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zuzkots

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi there!

I got a hospital tank today (24litre or 6.3gal) as I need to treat two of my platies for velvet. The tank is obviously not cycled but I used water from my community tank and moved some media into the filter that the tank came with (JEBO Q116). I'm confused as to what to do with water changes. I have treated the water with Interpet Anti Slime & Velvet and according to instructions it's a one off dose and I should do a water change after 7 days. But knowing the tank is not cycled, I'm worried about ammonia spikes and plan on testing the parameters daily. Do I need to remedicate the newly added water as well, or would that be an overdose for my fish?
Thanks in advance for your help.

I would follow the directions of the medication and watch the water parameters closely over the week, using the cycled media should be enough to bypass the initial ammonia spike.

I would follow the directions of the medication and watch the water parameters closely over the week, using the cycled media should be enough to bypass the initial ammonia spike.

Thanks for the advice!
The ammonia stayed below 0.25ppm all week so I only did one water change. My fish are now back in the main tank looking healthy again :)

Back
Top Bottom