Water changes for larger tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ernie

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all was thinking of go from a 55 gallon to maybe a 200 gallon tank but I was thinking of the task of water changes. With a 55 it's not hard to do changes but I was wondering how do people accomplish this with larger tanks meaning do you have to set up a secondary tank to prepare water. Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks all.

Brute trashcan. Then use a pump to mix the salt and heater to keep the water warm. Buy a pump that can connect to a flexible tubing. Then you use the pump to push water from the trashcan to the tank.

One of the things I have read is people doing water changes by mixing the water up in large rubbermaid trashcans on wheels. Another way would be doing the water changes more often rather than one large one. It would be easier to 5-10 gal water changes bi-weekly rather than one large 20 gal one.

Hello all was thinking of go from a 55 gallon to maybe a 200 gallon tank but I was thinking of the task of water changes. With a 55 it's not hard to do changes but I was wondering how do people accomplish this with larger tanks meaning do you have to set up a secondary tank to prepare water. Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks all.

I have a very large trash can that I use. I also make sure that the water matches my tanks salt levels etc... Before going in

Depending on....

Thanks all.

Depending on where you live, there are sources that sell natural sea water delivered to your door. If you don't have that option. You can use any kind of holding facility such as a garbage can or there are plastics distributors that sell canisters for the chemical companies. We used one of these in my last warehouse that held 1000 gals of water. (Don't panic, they come in smaller sizes :D) It was hoooked up with a recirculating pump and plumbed so that it would flow directly into the sumps during water changes.
FYI: whenever you are storing water for your tank, either aerate it or circulate it. Don't let it stagnate.

Hope this helps...(y)

I have a 180g and I use the trash can method as well. I bought a spare pump to pump into the tank with and it's an exact match to the pump in my sump. I figured I may as well have a built in spare. As far as getting the water out, I use a device similar to the Python which syphons the water down a sink, so you don't have to fill a bunch of buckets.

Brute trashcan. Then use a pump to mix the salt and heater to keep the water warm. Buy a pump that can connect to a flexible tubing. Then you use the pump to push water from the trashcan to the tank.

I have a 220 and I use the same method. One other advatage I have is that I have a drain close enough that I can siphon water straight into the drain - that makes it faster as well.

Back
Top Bottom