water changes. info needed, please.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

emma.b

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Me again. So as you may or may not know I have a small 19lt tank with 2 platies and a ghost shrimp living in it. Uncalled might I add, although we are doing a fish in cycle. Since getting them I've been doing a 20-25% water change every other day. With added bioactive tap safe to help declorinate etc.

My question is is this enough? The ammonia levels are sitting around 1ppm as is nitrite, nitrate is at 80 and PH is 7-8.

I've recently put in some fern and moss to help too and I feed the fishes sparingly every other day (same day I do the water changes).

Also the stuff I use to treat the water requires me to make up 10lts to ensure the measurement's are right. I only 4lt of this can I leave the rest in the bucket and use it for the next water change. For example I made up the water sunday night, ready for the change on monday...I have some left so can I use this for the water change tomorrow? Thanks for any advice

Uncycled it's meant to say. Autocorrect strikes again!

I would say it's not enough. A lot of fish can tolerate some level of ammonia, but any levels of nitrites are pretty hard on their system and 1.0 is very high, and those nitrates are very high as well. If it were me, I would WC more.

Do you have access to Prime? It is a great conditioner that helps detoxify ammonia and nitrites and makes them non-toxic on a temporary basis. It can be a big help when trying to cycle fish-in.

I have a local aquatic shop which I'm fairly sure in saw stocked prime...I'll have to investigate.

I do wc every other day. Would you suggest doing a wc every day? And how much water should I change, is 25% ok?

Thanks

I have a local aquatic shop which I'm fairly sure in saw stocked prime...I'll have to investigate.

I do wc every other day. Would you suggest doing a wc every day? And how much water should I change, is 25% ok?

Thanks

If the ammonia is hanging out at 1ppm with a 25% water change every other day then I would increase that to 50% and see how it reacts.

I would also like to point out that in the long run platies really aren't a good choice for that tank. They have a huge bio load (make lots of ammonia) and in a 19L tank there's just not enough room and water to make up for that. I would suggest instead looking at rehoming the platies and go with a betta.

Yes the water can be left in a bucket for a few days.

His mebbid

Thanks for the concern regarding my platies. I'll be honest with you I had no idea about tank size/fish when I got them. I was told by pets at home that these fish would be fine in such a tank as mine. I've since found out they won't be :(

I am looking at 55lt on a second hand website, I just have to get down there to get it.

Do you think the newer tank will be enough for them? Thanks x

Back
Top Bottom