Water changes solves almost everything

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hello AA...

There's really only one goal to tank keeping and that's maintaining a stable water chemistry. If water doesn't stay in the tank long, there won't be time for it to change chemically. The addition of fertilizers which include the forms of nitrogen produced by the dissolved fish and plant wastes, changes the chemical make up of the tank water and not for the better. By removing and replacing as much of the old water as possible and replacing it with pure water weekly, doesn't the water stay balanced moreso than small, less frequent changes? I think it does.

"Let your conscience be your guide".

B

My goal to tank keeping is to enjoy it whilst keeping my fish healthy. Thankfully I can do that by changing smaller volumes of water.

Please please stop referring to tap water as pure seriously.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I know there has been allot of debate over large weekly water changes and if you should do them or not. So just wanted to share my experience.

I have been keeping fish since I was 9 and am now 38 so just under 30 years of keeping fish. I started with my 10 gallon full of tetras then grew into keeping large salt,brackish and fresh water systems. When I started I new nothing of water changes I just topped it off and every once in a while I would loose a tetra here and there. I would replace them my thought is they are little fish they don't live long. Then I went through the phase of scrubbing the tank out every few months giving it a good cleaning (which you should not do)

I then learned about water changes and did a large water change every month or two with my vacuum and 5 gallon buckets. That phase lasted into my 20's never really lost any fish and they where doing well, so I thought. They weren't dying but they weren't as big and colorful as my fish are now. In that time I experimented with the right combination of fish and plants to make my WC less frequent. I made sure I had the right bottom feeders and alges eaters, using fish to try and do the job I should have been doing. Over all my tanks were doing well, Every once in a while I would see the problems people have on here. Algea bloom, Ich, bloat all stuff we all deal with.

About 8 or 9 years ago I got a python which made water changes super simple so since then about every week or two I do a 50%-75% water change.

Recently I was reading through some of the beginner threads and the "PLEASE HELP!!! threads" I realized I haven't had any real tank issues in years. I don't deal with any of these issues not even algae!

I only test my water about once or twice a year just for fun and it is always spot on. So the only think I can accredit my success to is Water Changes.

Taking 1 hour every week or two and I can't remember the last time I lost a fish. Ich out breaks used to decimate my tanks now the last out break I had was about 4 years ago. My fish are bigger and more colorful. I love firemouths and I see many firemouths that are drab grey with red bellies. My Firemouths that were born in my tank have all colors of the rainbow. I credit that to good feeding and water changes.

People can say what they want to and tell me I am wrong that it doesn't need to be done but this has been my experience so I am sticking with what is working.

Yes Sir clean water is a must. It curra more problema than any one medication in the market. I do 50% on all 6 of my tanks every single week and anymore the only tanks that get tested regularly are the planted ones and thats because I dose pps-pro my others get tested once a month.

Sent from my HTCEVODesign4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom