water changes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

missie

Aquarium Advice Freak
20 gallon. how often and how much should i change.??? can you do it too often??

well, im pretty sure Its cycled which is why i have the fish i do..however, until finding this site I have just been regularly having my water tested at pet store which i guess is not ideal.. so- ive had the tank up for almost 2 months... i had a ph issue a few weeks ago but was corrected with daily water changes recommended by the pet store. they have told me my nitrates and nitrites were fine..does that mean im cycled ?? I plan on investing in one of those master kits hear soon... but- cant do it just yet? any advice for this newbie?? LOL

Hi, Missie.

I have a 25 gal tank and do PWC twice a week (each change, I remove about 6 gal). I also vacuum the gravel during these changes; I do one half of the substrate on one day, then do the other half on the next water change. From an early post I wrote, I said I felt routine was very important. If you can get into the habit of doing your changes regularly, they'll be a piece of cake! Luanne

well, im pretty sure Its cycled which is why i have the fish i do..however, until finding this site I have just been regularly having my water tested at pet store which i guess is not ideal.. so- ive had the tank up for almost 2 months... i had a ph issue a few weeks ago but was corrected with daily water changes recommended by the pet store. they have told me my nitrates and nitrites were fine..does that mean im cycled ?? I plan on investing in one of those master kits hear soon... but- cant do it just yet? any advice for this newbie?? LOL

I would get a test kit as soon as you can. It is a vital part to responsible fish keeping, and the free tests at the stores use dip strip tests, which aren't all that accurate.

I would say though that if you have had fish for a month or two, your tank is cycled. If you do a 50% change a week, and make it a routine, you will be good to go. I agree with the above that if you keep the routine and do it every week, it is much easier. If you start skipping maintenance, it gets much harder to keep the tank clean and healthy.

Back
Top Bottom