water changes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kelly0707

Aquarium Advice Activist
I keep being told different things by my lfs's . How frequent should I be doing water changes on my 55 gallon?

Don't trust your lfs, trust us. :D

Most of us do 50% weekly water changes, no matter the size of the tank. I do 50% from my 16 gallon up to my 75 gallon weekly.

I would do 10g weekly changes on that size tank. I did the same on my 55g and it worked out really well. :)

I do 10-15 gallon on my 46 with 20 sump/refuge and never get above 0-5 ppm on trates...there's even been a couple weeks I go 2 weeks and still don't go over 0-5 ppm so imo anything over 20 gallons unless extremely overstocked is a waste of money and water

Is there a difference in percentage of water changes between salt and fresh? (sorry OP, I just noticed that your post was under salt).

Usually. I do alot larger changes on my FW tanks than salt ones. It also depends on the tank. Some require more water changes and higher amounts based on feeding, stocking and rock amount and if a skimmer is being used. :)

LyndaB said:
Is there a difference in percentage of water changes between salt and fresh? (sorry OP, I just noticed that your post was under salt).

The nitrification process is exactly the same so in a sense no but salt water tanks tend be a lot lighter of the Bioload per gallon so that's what seems to be the major factor in the smaller changes...really with my tank my nitrates seem to not he able to get over 5 ppm due to the refugium so I'm only doing my changes to replenish my calcium and other elements

oops, almost forgot a big point in difference. LOL If you don't have your own ro/di machine then you are paying about $1 a gallon for the mixed saltwater. So that can REALLY add up. :)

carey said:
oops, almost forgot a big point in difference. LOL If you don't have your own ro/di machine then you are paying about $1 a gallon for the mixed saltwater. So that can REALLY add up. :)

carey,

I dont have a sump so does that make a difference. I am doing 10 gallons a week but lfs said that was to much.

2 responses & 2 different answers. The internet is certainly full of opinions!
How do you mix your water? 5G buckets? If so I like carey's suggestion - simple to do 2 buckets worth.
I do 5G on my 15G HT & QT, and 5G on my 36G DT. 33% for the smaller tanks, about 15% for the larger. 5G is just easy.

- D

2 responses & 2 different answers. The internet is certainly full of opinions!
How do you mix your water? 5G buckets? If so I like carey's suggestion - simple to do 2 buckets worth.
I do 5G on my 15G HT & QT, and 5G on my 36G DT. 33% for the smaller tanks, about 15% for the larger. 5G is just easy.

- D

I mix my water in my 40g brute trash container. Mix it throughout the week and use it as needed for pwcs.

A bit surprised by the amount you guys are using for water changes. I'm doing 15g on my 125g+40g sump. Well I guess it's not that surprising if there's no skimmer being used on your smaller tanks.

AquaRick said:
I mix my water in my 40g brute trash container. Mix it throughout the week and use it as needed for pwcs.

A bit surprised by the amount you guys are using for water changes. I'm doing 15g on my 125g+40g sump. Well I guess it's not that surprising if there's no skimmer being used on your smaller tanks.

You also need to take into consideration more then likely the smaller tank bioloads are larger per gallon then your 165 gallon system

That depends on how the hobbyist stocks their tank. Just because a tank is smaller doesn't necessarily mean that there is more bioload/g.

What I'm saying is people with small tanks will usually go fully stocked more often then not while in a larger tank such as yours understocking would be more common...I'm not claiming that tank size equates to Bioload/gallon just hobbyists tend to make that choice

I usually have done 15% PWC`s with my tanks. I do mine every week but every two weeks would work for lightly stocked tanks.

Are there any good inexpensive water systems? I pay 1.39 a galon for the pre mixed salt ro water right now

$125 for an ro/di system then you can just always make your own..if your buying the saltwater in store you would also need to take into consideration gas expenses too

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom