water changes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ConanTheLibraia

Aquarium Advice FINatic
OK, I'm wondering the best way to do a water change on a large tank. Do you always have to mix the salt in buckets and leave them overnight or is there an easier way to do it without a sump? I think I may not do water changes but just regularly dose, its a FOWLR so what would I need to dose much of anything for healthy liverock growth?

when you say large tank what are you implying?

Like a 90 gal? Or a 45 gal?

This is what I do.

I have two 30 gal trashcans. 1 is for freshwater storage and the other is for saltwater mixing. I mix saltwater in batches of 20-25 gal. I have a heater and powerhead in the trashcan. I mix at laeast 1 day in advance but usualy i have saltwater made up.

The 'lazy' way is to get a large pump and hose and pump the water from the storage container into the tank once the dirty water has been removed. Else you just use 5 gal buckets and scoop out water from the trashcan and into the tank once the ditry water has been removed.

Doing a 10% water change biweekly is not going to take you more than 10-15min even on a 90 gal tank. Its two 5 gal buckets out and two 5 gal buckets in.

Back
Top Bottom