Water Chemistry Minefield

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

coxyhammer

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi All

I have the following set up

110 litres
Temp - 26 degrees.
Fluval external filter - bottom tray (peat granules), middle tray (bio max), top tray (bio max and polishing pad)
Bogwood and plastic plans
Dark substrate
Subdued lighting
Water change 10% per week.

The tank has been set up for around 3 months now. I have tested the water regularly (amonnia, nitrite and nitrate) and all is fine.

I want to keep a tank of tetras (neons etc).

My tap water PH is high at about 8.5 so I use pure RO water on the advice of my local retailer and add a little solution to this to replace essential minerals and also aqua safe to combat the chlorine.

With the peat granules and RO water, the PH is now 6.8

My nitrate, nitrite and ammonia levels are none/very low.

My GH according to my test kit (Hagen master kit) is 160 ppm which if I understand it correct is in the 8-12dh range (so medium/hard). Which I need to get down and I think this will with water changes over time.

NOW the problem. I have tested the KH and I get a reading according to my test kit (Hagen master kit) of 140. Now what does this mean? I know that KH indicates how stable the PH is but I don't know anything else??

What does this 140 mean, is this good for a soft water tank set up? Am I right in thinking that I need to get this reading as high as possible and how do I do that? Also, how do I keep it high in future.

Sorry for detailing so much info but it might be easier for someone to help me with los of info provided.

Thanks!!

Actually the KH is an indicator of the amount of water buffers in your aquarium. If you add anything to increase it, you'll also end up increasing your pH as the two are linked. If you're keeping a softwater setup, then a low KH is to be expected.

Mark

There's fish in there already, a pair of blue rams and a dozen neon tetras. all seem to be doing well, just want to make sure they stay that way by creating the perfect environment

Back
Top Bottom