water circulation/salt in freshwater African tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tiger terror

Aquarium Advice Addict
?How much circulation if any should I have in my African Malawi Community tank,also when purchased my C's were in a freshwater tank with no cichlid salt added should have when setting up for them have added the salt?

As little or as much as you want... as long as it's not blowing the fish around. I put a powerhead in my 150g mbuna tank for a while, but my two canisters were plenty of flow, so I took it back out. And, there's really no need IMO to put cichlid salt in the tank. Some people want to so it buffers up the water and adds the minerals to make it very malawi-like... but I just put prime in my water. These fish aren't wild caught fish, they're bred in farms just like 90% of the other fish we keep. Unless you get wild caught of course.

Usually 12-16 time the volume of the aqaurium compare to 27-33 in saltwater!!

Use power head as they do not lose their power because of dirt!

Like tunze or any competitor to that type of powerhead!

I run my malawi on 18 X the volume of the aquarium!!

The most economical way is nutrafin chlor exchange and chlor guard from seachem!

Good night!

Last edited by a moderator:
mfdrookie516 said:
As little or as much as you want... as long as it's not blowing the fish around. I put a powerhead in my 150g mbuna tank for a while, but my two canisters were plenty of flow, so I took it back out. And, there's really no need IMO to put cichlid salt in the tank. Some people want to so it buffers up the water and adds the minerals to make it very malawi-like... but I just put prime in my water. These fish aren't wild caught fish, they're bred in farms just like 90% of the other fish we keep. Unless you get wild caught of course.

A fish has a more natural comportement and a better coloration in what his genetics needs!!!

They adapt but its always better for them when they dont have to adapt!!

Their tough but more beautiful and colorful
In their natural condition, kh 100 and up, gh 120-180.

In my opinion!

Back
Top Bottom