water cloudy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Makavelli02

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hopefully someone can help me out. i am new to this hobbie. my water has suddenly turned cloudy with a very slight green tint. my tank has been running since Christmas it is a 29g with 3 small Oscars and a pleco ( i now i need a larger tank for them i purchased a 75 gallon long tank just need to set it up). about a week before the water color changed i added an air pump which has a 6 inch long wand pushing the bubbles under the gravel. The first day i noticed the water color change it also seemed that the water was extremely to warm. i assumed it was the pump so i unpluged it. the water didnt get any better so i checked my filter media which seemed very very dirty so i changed it. no help. the filter is an aqueon 30.

Sounds like a bacteria bloom. Your bioload from those fish are to much for that filter to handle. Have you checked your current water parameters? Oscars grow up to a inch per month with those 4 fish you'll need at least a 150 gallon. I would rehome the plec( assuming it's common ) and 1-2 oscars. That 75 will barley handle 2 adult oscars without alot of work ( believe me I'm doing it ). Even with 2 oscars your going to need alot of filtration like. Fluval FX5 or 2 larger canisters with weekly 50% water changes.

With those filters I would keep one oscar and the plec. Remember if it's a common plec they can reach 20+ inches so if your interested in a plec I would get a bristlenose which only reach 5+ inches.

When oscars are kept alone they have so much more personality and interaction with you. When there's 2 their focus is on each other.

Algae?

I had had the same problem about a year ago and it turns out it was an algae bloom. The extra space and filtration will help but I just went to the petstore and bought some algae fix and it cleared it right up! But you also need to monitor how long you leave the aquarium lights on! You should only keep them on for max 4 hours. The more light the more algae! I hope this helps :)

Back
Top Bottom