Water Frogs - Cloudy Water Problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hermit-kermit

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi -

Just joined to see if anyone can help resolve my water problem. My husband bought me 2 African Claw Frogs for Valentine's Day. I have a ceramic frog collection, love frogs and he thought I would like them which I do very much. The store also sold him a fish bowl, gravel and shrimp pellets. I washed the gravel, put them and their water into the bowl and added distilled water per store instructions. I fell in love with them and 3 days later the trouble began. Cloudy water, couldn't see them. I knew I would need a filter. Purchased a small 2 1/2 gallon Aquarium kit with filter, cover and light. Added some artificial plants and this time used spring water. To shorten story, I have done 25% water changes, complete water changes, used every chemical available (ammonia was high, got it down; Nitrate was high for quite a while but I got it down with chemicals), I added a couple of artificial plants from my daughters tank and used Cycle to help bacteria. I bought a new, bigger Tetra ReptoFilter. I test with strips every day and have everything (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, PH) where it should be but still have cloudy water. Three days ago the water was so bad I couldn't see plants, frogs or anything - my husband said to get our little friends out of there. I took them out, put them back in their fishbowl and started working on their tank. I removed half of the gravel, messed around with the rest to get debris up and into the water, removed the plants, put back the original filter in addition to the new one, put in clean filters, and added a clarifier. I have let it run for 3 days and the filters are not picking up anything more - the water is still cloudy white. What do I do next? I have been all over the website spending hours reading how to care for frogs and water but have not found the solution. Now I have to get my friends out of the fishbowl - do I put them back in the aquarium? I said I wouldn't do it until I got the water clear. HELP!

Hi -

Just joined to see if anyone can help resolve my water problem. My husband bought me 2 African Claw Frogs for Valentine's Day. I have a ceramic frog collection, love frogs and he thought I would like them which I do very much. The store also sold him a fish bowl, gravel and shrimp pellets. I washed the gravel, put them and their water into the bowl and added distilled water per store instructions. I fell in love with them and 3 days later the trouble began. Cloudy water, couldn't see them. I knew I would need a filter. Purchased a small 2 1/2 gallon Aquarium kit with filter, cover and light. Added some artificial plants and this time used spring water. To shorten story, I have done 25% water changes, complete water changes, used every chemical available (ammonia was high, got it down; Nitrate was high for quite a while but I got it down with chemicals), I added a couple of artificial plants from my daughters tank and used Cycle to help bacteria. I bought a new, bigger Tetra ReptoFilter. I test with strips every day and have everything (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, PH) where it should be but still have cloudy water. Three days ago the water was so bad I couldn't see plants, frogs or anything - my husband said to get our little friends out of there. I took them out, put them back in their fishbowl and started working on their tank. I removed half of the gravel, messed around with the rest to get debris up and into the water, removed the plants, put back the original filter in addition to the new one, put in clean filters, and added a clarifier. I have let it run for 3 days and the filters are not picking up anything more - the water is still cloudy white. What do I do next? I have been all over the website spending hours reading how to care for frogs and water but have not found the solution. Now I have to get my friends out of the fishbowl - do I put them back in the aquarium? I said I wouldn't do it until I got the water clear. HELP!

I know the problem!

It need's to be cycled. Here is a link on fishless/frogless cycling. http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/fishless-cycling-for-dummies-103339.html I would recommend returning the frogs and cycling the tank. If u can't do that give them to a friend that has a cycled tank, and if thats impossible u need to do a fish/frog in cycle.

Just ride out the storm. When I first got my tank, I didn't know anything. So I filled my tank up with water then fish, and within a week it became really cloudy. I asked my lfs guy what to do and he told me to just ride out the storm, do daily, or every other day water changes of 20% and within a week or two it became crystal clear again.

Hello and welcome to AA! :)

Your froggie friends are going to need a minimum of a 20 gallon tank.

You don't want to use additives to adjust your water parameters, this can do more harm than good.

Do you have a master test kit? Exactly what are the water parameters?

Back
Top Bottom