water hardness

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joefrommi65

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi all, I have some hard water , from the tap it comes out between 200-and 300 GH but my PH stays @ 7.3.I have a 55 gal tank 0 ammonia 0 nitrites < 20 ppm nitrates My tank has been running for about 6 weeks and the parameters are steady. My question is how can I lower my GH in the tank and before adding water for water changes. It seems all the fish I am interested in want lower GH levels. The PH stays at 7.3 out of the tap and in the tank so it is stable. I cant afford a water softener so I would like to try a different approach if there is one.

Water Chemistry

Hi all, I have some hard water , from the tap it comes out between 200-and 300 GH but my PH stays @ 7.3.I have a 55 gal tank 0 ammonia 0 nitrites < 20 ppm nitrates My tank has been running for about 6 weeks and the parameters are steady. My question is how can I lower my GH in the tank and before adding water for water changes. It seems all the fish I am interested in want lower GH levels. The PH stays at 7.3 out of the tap and in the tank so it is stable. I cant afford a water softener so I would like to try a different approach if there is one.

Hello Joe...

Unless you have rare fish, you don't need to fret over the pH, hardness or anything like this. Your fish will adapt to your tap water. You do need to remove the chlorine and chloramine, though. These are toxic to fish. Prime has a good product. Just dose the tap water according to instructions.

It's best for you and your fish if you don't do anything to change the tap water. Just remove and replace a good portion every week and the water chemistry will be fine.

B

As mentioned by BBradbury ... don't bother trying to alter your taps pH or Hardness, just deal with the Chlorine / chloramine.

Most fish in this hobby (except for REALLY sensitive) will adapt to your tap's parameters. The trick is to properly acclimate your fish to your tank ... drip acclimation works wonders.

Thanks, that is what I have read before but kinda was a little worried and don't want to do any harm to my little buds

I agree. Aslong as u maintain a stable ph. Fish will adapt to the conditions as long as the conditions are maintained.

Back
Top Bottom