Water level answers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fibsog

Aquarium Advice FINatic
i dont remember. let me take my arm out of the tan
People ask why my water is usually low. It is because the lip of the filter hangs low into the water and I don't want any fish getting sucked in there.

Hope that cleared things up! :)

The first picture is super low. The second is normal. The last is past the lip.

Attachments

• image-3177606245.jpg
    image-3177606245.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 130
  • image-161823969.jpg
    image-161823969.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 153
  • image-2817497779.jpg
    image-2817497779.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 116
The fish will not get sucked into the outflow. The part the water comes out of. You can raise your water level to about an inch below that part and the fish will be fine. You can even raise the water level up to the top of the outflow lip with no problems. I have a tank that I fill up past that point and no fish are harmed. It is the long tube that goes down into the tank that fish sometimes get sucked up into. You can put a knee high or a sponge around that to prevent this from happening. There is really no reason to have the water level that low unless you just like it that way. Personally I want as much water in the tank as possible to give the fish more room to swim and help dilute the toxins the fish produce.

The fish will not get sucked into the outflow. The part the water comes out of. You can raise your water level to about an inch below that part and the fish will be fine. You can even raise the water level up to the top of the outflow lip with no problems. I have a tank that I fill up past that point and no fish are harmed. It is the long tube that goes down into the tank that fish sometimes get sucked up into. You can put a knee high or a sponge around that to prevent this from happening. There is really no reason to have the water level that low unless you just like it that way. Personally I want as much water in the tank as possible to give the fish more room to swim and help dilute the toxins the fish produce.

Didnt mean sucked in, I meant swimming inside.

If they somehow manage to swim in they will be able to get back out again just as easily. It's really not something to bother worrying about.

I have mollies, neon tetras, guppies, 2 kinds of shrimp, and three types of snails and no one has decided to swim into the filter even with the water line up to the filter outflow ramp. Well, I did have one mystery snail that did. She would climb up and then parachute off and float to the bottom then do it again. LOL

The filter pushes water out quite fast. Your fish wouldn't be able to get in there when it moves so quickly

Back
Top Bottom