Water Movement ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wally

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello, I have been using a Natural Wave Timer in my system for about 8 months and have 3 power heads connected to it.

Recently one of the outlets stopped putting out power (what a bummer) I've been looking at replacing it with the Red Sea WaveMaster Pro.

Does any one have any experience with it? What do the "night time " and "feeding" modes mean?

I've heard good things about it.

The feeding mode shuts off power to the powerheads for about 5 minutes so the food doesn't blow around. I've got a wave maker that is similar and has the feeding mode button, I never use it, I make my fish chase their food :twisted:

The night time mode should slow the pumps down some, reduced rather than no power to simulate slower currents at night, although I've seen this feature on many wave makers, I've never actually read a report where the currents slow down at night on the reef. I personally wouldn't use that feature also.

Contact the Natural wave timer maker. It should have a 1 year warrantee on it. You might be able to get it replaced.

I dont have one of the wavemaster units but this is my guess.

The night time is probably a less agressive switching of current. When the suns not on the reef IMO the currents within the reef would be less. The feeding mod is probably a mode that shuts the PH's down entirely for a period of X timeframe.

I use a wavemaster pro on my tank and have really been pleased with it. The nightime setting runs a continous gentle flow that will allow for nightime calcification but is much less turbid than the agressive flow settings. The unit has 8 settings, 4 for reef and 4 for marine (gentle, rolling, turbid, and a setting that alternates each every 30 min) The feeding mode shuts off all of your powerheads except the powerhead you designate as PH#2 for 30 min. Night setting runs for 8 hours and then kicks back into your daytime setting. If I had to give you something I don't like about the system is that is has no memory so each time you turn it off or lose power if defaults to fish only, gentle.

Am I correct that in the night time mode there is less electrical currant being deliverd to the power heads? Or does it stop switching so quickly?

All the information I could find on the nightmode was:

"The night program provides an 8 hour period of calmer water motion, irrespective of which wave program has been selected."

I also want to make a correction to something I said above:
The unit has 8 settings, 4 for reef and 4 for marine (gentle, rolling, turbid, and a setting that alternates each every 30 min)
This is incorrect, the Alternating setting runs each of the other settings for four hours each, not 30 Min.

"The night program provides an 8 hour period of calmer water motion, irrespective of which wave program has been selected."

I read this also but am not sure hoe they achieve the "calmer" period?

Fishfreek, I recently threw away a large pile of receipts that I was collecting on my aquarium expenses (the pile was embarrassingly large).

Back
Top Bottom