Water perameters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mud crab

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone can anyone tell me an except able level for ph kh gh nitrate in my 55 gallon tank I know that keep it consistent which it seems to be how ever I would like some feed back or reassurance
Thanks

What's in it? Cichlid tank vs. Tropical vs. cold water is very different and if you have live plants
Just in general PH 6.8 +/- , Nitrate 20+/-, KH 5+/- , temp 78*. "Normal tank" with plants

Tank Conditions

Hi everyone can anyone tell me an except able level for ph kh gh nitrate in my 55 gallon tank I know that keep it consistent which it seems to be how ever I would like some feed back or reassurance
Thanks

Hello Mud...

Unless you're keeping and breeding rare fish, you don't need to worry about pH, hardness or any of this kind of thing. Most fish will adapt to most tap water. You just need to remove the ammonia, chlorine and chloramine the city puts into the tap water to make it safe for you to drink.

Nitrates are in most tap water supplies, but not at a level that will harm your fish. You can float Brazilian Waterweed (Anacharis) in the tank. It thrives in water with dissolved nitrogens.

Just change out half the water in the tank every week and you won't need to worry about the water chemistry. I'm a water change fanatic and so I never have to test my water, I know if I change a lot of water weekly, there won't be time for toxins to build up before the next large change.

B

Cool thanks guys I have african cichlids my ph is around 7.6 my ammonia is up at0.25 nitrate around 10 how ever my kh gh tester I don't really under stand it give results in number of drops till colour change in ppm. Should I try to keep it at rift lake levels ?

Cool thanks guys I have african cichlids my ph is around 7.6 my ammonia is up at0.25 nitrate around 10 how ever my kh gh tester I don't really under stand it give results in number of drops till colour change in ppm. Should I try to keep it at rift lake levels ?

Yes. They would appreciate it. and cichlid salt

Nitrite is 0 just ammonia up at 0.25 I plan to do a water change tomorrow

Back
Top Bottom