Water Problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gingerfizz

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all,

Your advice please. I seem to have a problem with high Nitrate element to my aquarium. I have had the water tested 3 times now since I upgraded to a 24 ltr tank!! Ammonia 0.25 & Nitrite 0 which is fine but Nitrate remains 40-50ppm.

I have been doing twice weekly 25% water change & feeding every other day. What else can I do? I would like a couple more fish, but quite rightly the pet shop won't sell me any til I bring the levels down. I get a lot of algae too.

The filter I have is the one that came with the tank. It seems ok., & they are not in direct sunlight.

The lady at the shop suggested the tap safe dechloinator I used might not be good, so I bought a better one but not sure the chemicals in the water are related to this are they.

Thanks for any help

Hi all,

Your advice please. I seem to have a problem with high Nitrate element to my aquarium. I have had the water tested 3 times now since I upgraded to a 24 ltr tank!! Ammonia 0.25 & Nitrite 0 which is fine but Nitrate remains 40-50ppm.

I have been doing twice weekly 25% water change & feeding every other day. What else can I do? I would like a couple more fish, but quite rightly the pet shop won't sell me any til I bring the levels down. I get a lot of algae too.

The filter I have is the one that came with the tank. It seems ok., & they are not in direct sunlight.

The lady at the shop suggested the tap safe dechloinator I used might not be good, so I bought a better one but not sure the chemicals in the water are related to this are they.

Thanks for any help

First of all I would check your source water for nitrates as it may already be high in nitrates so every water change you do just adds more. Your base line might be 20ppm for example.

Secondly if you still have the filter sponge from the old tank, put it in the new 24ltr. Unless your tap water also contains ammonia it looks as though your tank isn't cycled. Adding the old sponge will cycle the tank much faster. If the old sponge has dried out then forget that idea as the bacteria will be gone.

If you do have ammonia in your tap water this might be contributing to the high nitrates. Over feeding, overstocking and lack of cleaning the filter and gravel all contribute to high nitrates. Clean filter sponges in tank water that has been siphoned out during a clean. Do not rinse it in tap water or you will destroy the good bacteria on the sponge.

Water changes and live plants are the online true way to remove nitrates. Feeding sensibly, under stocking and good tank maintenance will help to control the levels.

Good luck

Hi, it's a pain if nitrates are high! You need to do more frequent water changes until you have it under control, I was doing 50%, every 2 days, for a couple of weeks (seemed like ages lol), and started feeding my fish 2 x weekly, instead of daily. Over feeding can cause high nitrates. Also when you do your wc's, make sure you give the substrate a good going over, and lift any ornaments to get in under them. Live plants are good, hornwort and water wisteria are a couple of good ones, hornwort is a floating plant. Your ammonia can be a problem, that should be 0, the water changes will help with that too, ammonia can be toxic to fish, so the water changes really should be done daily, has your tank cycled?
How long do you have your lights on? If they are going too long, that will cause algae growth, 6-8 hrs per day is enough. I have my lights on 4 hrs, then off 4 hrs.
Good luck with it!!

Sent from anteatergoanna's burrow

Your Tank

Hi all,

Thanks for any help

Hello gin...

I hate to break this to you, but your tank is really too small. You'll need to change half the tank water a couple of times a week, so even the smallest and hardiest fish can live.

To give you the best chance for success in the water keeping hobby, you need to get a larger tank. 20 gallons (80 liters) is really the minimum and 30 gallons (120 liters) is better.

B

First of all I would check your source water for nitrates as it may already be high in nitrates so every water change you do just adds more. Your base line might be 20ppm for example.

Secondly if you still have the filter sponge from the old tank, put it in the new 24ltr. Unless your tap water also contains ammonia it looks as though your tank isn't cycled. Adding the old sponge will cycle the tank much faster. If the old sponge has dried out then forget that idea as the bacteria will be gone.

If you do have ammonia in your tap water this might be contributing to the high nitrates. Over feeding, overstocking and lack of cleaning the filter and gravel all contribute to high nitrates. Clean filter sponges in tank water that has been siphoned out during a clean. Do not rinse it in tap water or you will destroy the good bacteria on the sponge.

Water changes and live plants are the online true way to remove nitrates. Feeding sensibly, under stocking and good tank maintenance will help to control the levels.

Good luck

Thanks for your sound response. Interesting about testing my tap water, I will do that. As you say though it may still be cycling. The fish have been in for 3 weeks, I have 2 Platys & 2 minnows. I did put the old sponge from filter in & also gravel & some water.. Will see how it goes over next couple of weeks. Thanks again

Hi, it's a pain if nitrates are high! You need to do more frequent water changes until you have it under control, I was doing 50%, every 2 days, for a couple of weeks (seemed like ages lol), and started feeding my fish 2 x weekly, instead of daily. Over feeding can cause high nitrates. Also when you do your wc's, make sure you give the substrate a good going over, and lift any ornaments to get in under them. Live plants are good, hornwort and water wisteria are a couple of good ones, hornwort is a floating plant. Your ammonia can be a problem, that should be 0, the water changes will help with that too, ammonia can be toxic to fish, so the water changes really should be done daily, has your tank cycled?
How long do you have your lights on? If they are going too long, that will cause algae growth, 6-8 hrs per day is enough. I have my lights on 4 hrs, then off 4 hrs.
Good luck with it!!

Sent from anteatergoanna's burrow

Thanks for your reply. My tank probably is still cycling, the fish have been in 3 weeks. I used the old filter sponge & gravel when I changed tank, don't know when it will be done, when the figures are good I guess. I think I am putting lights on too long maybe, I switch them on about 8am til about 11pm, so will turn them on in afternoon rather than morning or do 4 & 4 on a weekend. I was keeping them on to help keep the live plants alive. Not sure what they are, pets at home don't name there plants. Thanks again

As already stated. That tank is rather small and most will say that this is too small for platys. Toxins will build up much quicker in a smaller body of water so just keep that in mind.

Also the high levels of nitrates are why you have algae problems. Algae feeds off nitrates. Always better to go bigger with the tank no matter the fish. For example lol if u farted in a closet it stinks way worse then if you tooted in the back yard. Chemicals build fast in small body of water. The more gallons of water per fish the better. Bigger tank less WaterChanges less algae problems ect.

Show me a fish that don't eat and I'll show you a sick fish

Also the high levels of nitrates are why you have algae problems. Algae feeds off nitrates. Always better to go bigger with the tank no matter the fish. For example lol if u farted in a closet it stinks way worse then if you tooted in the back yard. Chemicals build fast in small body of water. The more gallons of water per fish the better. Bigger tank less WaterChanges less algae problems ect.

Talk about farting in closets and I'll show you someone who doesn't go outside often enough to fart in a backyard... i like your style haha

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hahaha it's easily explained that way right

Hahaha it's easily explained that way right

I'm most cases, sadly.. yes, it's the best approach, im just a sucker for a good fart joke though..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom