Water question. Distilled vs Primo refill

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yankeeslover

Aquarium Advice Activist
Newbie question. I do know the best is RO/DI and i will be purchasing a unit by years end.. But in the mean time.. Started up new tank last week.. right now i want to do FOWLR... I have been purchasing the distilled water jugs from my local walmart at .88 gallon.. I have a 46 gallon tank... I have now been informed that my walmart also has a PRIMO refill station that says it uses three types of filters and then UV light.... they charge .32 per gallon....
Any idea what water is better to use for now? is distilled water the same as the primo filtered water or is it better? and last but not least im assuming doesnt really matter with fowlr? but if i want to some day venture into beginner corals...thats why i ask...thank you...

Well, sometimes on those refill stations the filters aren't changed out as often as they should be. This can greatly effect the TDS of the water to be an unknown.
Though I have never tested the TDS of the 88 cent distilled from walmart, it is currently what I run my reef tank on. Is there algae in my display? Yes. Does it work? Yes.

thanks for the reply

any idea how often/much water i need for a water change? im so used to a freshwater setup..im new to this... 46 gallon tank, FOWLR.. do i still change out 25% once per week? or do these water changes go longer? i will have a skimmer setup next week..thanks.

People vary there opinions on amount of water change and frequency. I tend to water change my 80g every 2 weeks at 25%.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom