Water Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

n5xmt

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
This is very newbie-ish, but I am trying to figure out what "normal" values for Ammonia, nitrites and nitrates should be in an established tank (freshwater 55Gal) that is not overstocked and is planted. (2 grasses, a brazillian sword and a moneywort).
Here are graphs of my planted 55G and my non-planted 20Gal.
55_graph.jpg

20_graph.jpg

In an established tank (one that has reached equilibrium with no more fish added), Ammonia and nitrites should be zero. Nitrates should be between 10 - 20 ppm. Tanks that contain plants often have much lower nitrate readings becuase they are consumed by the plants.

HTH

cool...
Looks like I am well on my way.
55G was started on 1/17 with Bio-Spira, 20G was overstocked and had been up for 6 months... got the fish into the 55 on 1/19 (All but 5... the meat eaters... 2 Senegal Bichir's, 1 clown knife and 2 sailfin Pleco's for cleanup)

Yup, exactly what BrianNY said.

I love your graphs, BTW. I did the same thing when I first cycled my 58 gal. I kept detailed records every day for two months and eventually plotted them on Excel. I thought it was simply because I'm a science geek :silly: - glad to see I'm not alone! :D

Back
Top Bottom