Water softener???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Godfrey

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just moving into a new house and it has a water softener in it. Question I have is would it be better to run my rodi unit with softened water or not. will it help or hurt. the house is on a well and apparently the well needs to be bleached twice a year

I've got a water softener. My TDsmeter shows it has zero Tds. Probably because of the sodium ions. But I put it through the ro unit

My Tds meter was 2 coming in and 1 going out but I didn't check it yet with the softener off yet. So if that's correct does a water softener do everything an rodi unit does? No matter what I'm running the rodi but is it safe to run both? On city water at old house my Tds was measuring 16 in and 2 out

I believe water softener just removes minerals from deep wheel but does not filter out unwanted elements for tank. That being said you still need to have ro/di for your tank water.

Yes the type you add salt pellets to tank and my question remains is it better to run rodi with or without water softener

Okay that makes sense But I still would like to know if there's anything in the water softener pellets that would change my water chemistry. I've never read the ingredients list on a bag of softener pellets And I know that There are different kinds for different problems for example some deal with rust

Your TDS meter will tell you if it's not doing its job to remove those elements. Pure water is H2O and should remain as such after passing such filters.

Back
Top Bottom