water testing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jmoots

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I finally got a water testing kit. I have been taking samples into the aquarium store to have tested but I never knew the exact numbers just that my water was testing good. Because of a lot of our fish have died over the past couple of months.I thought I should start testing. Can you tell me if these numbers are okay. Ammonia 0.25
Ph 8.2
Nitrate 0
Nitrite 0

Should I be concerned that my Ph and ammonia are a little high?

jmoots said:
I finally got a water testing kit. I have been taking samples into the aquarium store to have tested but I never knew the exact numbers just that my water was testing good. Because of a lot of our fish have died over the past couple of months.I thought I should start testing. Can you tell me if these numbers are okay. Ammonia 0.25
Ph 8.2
Nitrate 0
Nitrite 0

Ph is fine ammonia is not. It's concerning that your nitrates are at 0 because unless you just did a really big water change it means you are probably not cycled

We did a 50% water change about 2 weeks ago. I will retest tonight. It was the first time I have tested so maybe I did the test wrong?

Make sure you really shake those nitrate bottles and bang them on a hard surface for a minute or two before testing. The reagents can clump leading to an inaccurate result. I suspect your nitrates may be quite bit higher if it's been 2 weeks since your last water change.

Make sure you really shake those nitrate bottles and bang them on a hard surface for a minute or two before testing. The reagents can clump leading to an inaccurate result. I suspect your nitrates may be quite bit higher if it's been 2 weeks since your last water change.

+1 to this.......if it's been 2 weeks I doubt your nitrates are at zero.......Unless you have a tank STUFFED with fast-growing plants lol

I don't have a bunch of plants just about 3 I think. But I currently only have 4 fish and we have a 20 gal tank. Could this cause them to be low?

Are you using the API liquid kit or strips or something else? Strips aren't very accurate.

Your PH is fine as long as it's stable. Ammonia at .25 isn't too bad, although I suspect it might have been higher at some point which might have caused some deaths.

If the tank is cycled (which it should be by now, or close to, unless you've been messing with the filters) you should have some nitrate after two weeks of no water changes, even with a small load of fish. What fish do you have?

Since you just started testing it's hard to know whether the ammonia showing up is new or if you're just finishing up the ammonia phase and going into nitrite. Sometimes leftover food and waste can decay and cause spikes as well. Weekly water changes of 50% with substrate vacuum is good practice (assuming ammonia and nitrite are 0; if they rise then more water changes are needed). Here's a link if you haven't seen it: Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

Redo your nitrate test after shaking & banging those nitrate bottles. It will come up inaccurate (zero/very low) if they are not well mixed. Even with only four fish, I would expect to see some increase in nitrate unless your not feeding them.

Your Water Chemistry

Ph 8.2
Nitrate 0
Nitrite 0

Hello j...

pH is generally not an issue as long as the reading is constant. The vast majority of aquarium fish will adapt to the vast majority of public water supplies. A ph between 6 and 8.5 is fine.

You should definitely be concerned about the ammonia reading. Ammonia and nitrite, even a trace of these toxins is enough to damage your fishes' sensative gill tissues and eventually kill them. Large, weekly water changes are needed to keep the water safe for your fish and plants too.

B

Back
Top Bottom