Water top up.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ndw

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a small 10g tank and every day or 2 the water goes down to the minimum level for the filter. I have to keep making up water and adding the dechlorinator. Is it safe to make a ready made bottle and leave it so I don't have to keep making more up.

So I could make up say a gallon bottle with dechlorinator in and leave somewhere in the house for when needed?

Make sure it's a good safe bottle, not one that held soap or anything before

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Whether or not that much untreated tap water will affect this fish could be up for debate, though I feel that at a minimum there would be health issues in the long term.
In the short term, however, you would run a high risk of it killing off the BB in the bio-filter, causing the cycle to crash. After all, the reason the chlorine is in the water in the first place is to kill off bacteria and other microbes.

When I was a kid we used to fill used milk jugs with tap water and let them sit uncapped in a window sill. After a day or two the chlorine would gas off on its own without needing treatment.
Today's water treatment does more than take care of chlorine though. It also makes the heavy metals that might be in the water safer for fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have a nice jug from Tropicana juice filled with prepared water. I use it for top offs. I like it better than a milk jug because it has a nice lid that you snap open and a spout that controls the flow better. When you do a water change, just prepare extra water and put it in the jug. It's not that much extra effort. No reason to use tap water.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom