Waterlife Myxazin for fin rot sent my guppies weird...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JamesAndGuppies

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi! So my tank is now cycled and water parameters are perfect, however while it was still cycling, my guppies were nipping each other, and got finrot. I wasn't sure if that was fin rot at first, so did not rush to do anything, just kept on adding fresh water. But unfortunately, every fish developed a weird discolouration around te edges of their tales and one's top fin, and the tails started getting disfigured. Also, they started looking a bit pale, but were eating, swimming around as normal. I read so many good reviews on Myxazin, so decided to give it a go. I followed instructions, did not overdose, but as soon as it entered the water, my guppies eyes become jet black and being very friendly and active fish before, they have become lethargic, just sitting at the bottom, sometimes just hovering in the middle of the tank not moving much and then starting to swim erratically for a second, then nothing much again. They are also now scared of me approaching them through the glass, hides from the sight of my finger, although they did come to eat. The whole situation really freaks me out and I wonder if I should stop the treatment, as I figured this is not a normal response? All the reviews of this medicine that I have found stated that it improved fish's behaviours and condition quickly and it is mild on the fish, but it seems to be the complete opposite for us! Please share your thoughts and experiences, because I am one scared fish mom.

I've never used that kind, it's a bactericide. Lowers the harmful bacteria count in the water. I've used furan-2, a sulpha drug, with good results. It does the same thing. Does make your water cloudy

Antibiotics work best, but I know in the UK they're almost impossible to get and tightly regulated. If you didn't feel comfortable using that one again, try a similar product. Water change that one out and temporarily add some fresh carbon to your filter to remove it

I have used it (same issue of meds access in Aus). Fish were fine at first but lost a couple towards the end of dosing. I quite liked it but not saying much when there are only two antibiotics available over the counter.

Is it still dose so much on certain days?

Increasing aeration will help fish.

I’ve had fish struggle with first dose of these med types eg rapid gill movement. Generally they can adjust but it’s a fine line unfortunately.

Use jungle fungus clear. Works great. Remove guppies from tank and do a water change. If they are nipping at each other you would get a better male female ratio. At least 3 females to 1 male.

Thanks for your replies, fish seem to be adjusting and doing better behaviour wise, although the medicine is sending them wild and they've become sooo agressive, one guppy's tail now has a massive split in it from all of them fighting. As if that's what I need right now �� Read that jet black eyes are sign of agression, so about right then. However, after the first day, one of the guppy's tail has started loosing the discolouration around the edges of his tail and colour started coming back, so must be working.

Happy to say all my fish have survived the treatment, despite the treatment itself sending them weird. It has now been one day after the treatment ended, and they seem to be coming back to their normal happy behaviour, which feels like a massive relief. Still unsure if treatment helped much, but I guess we will see soon enough.

Antibiotics work best, but I know in the UK they're almost impossible to get and tightly regulated. If you didn't feel comfortable using that one again, try a similar product. Water change that one out and temporarily add some fresh carbon to your filter to remove it
I think antibiotics that are banned here are ones that contain nifurpirinol. I think furanol that i see mentioned here occasionally is in that bracket. Even though they are banned its fairly easy to get hold of online and some stores even stock them, though not any that i frequent. The strongest meds i can get hold of is esha2000.

Happy to say all my fish have survived the treatment, despite the treatment itself sending them weird. It has now been one day after the treatment ended, and they seem to be coming back to their normal happy behaviour, which feels like a massive relief. Still unsure if treatment helped much, but I guess we will see soon enough.

I always had good experiences with the waterlife products. Particularly myxazin and octozin.

I used to soak pellets in mixed solutions then dry them off so you could see the salt crystals of the meds adhered to the food then feed.

Back
Top Bottom