watts per gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

krap101

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was thinking... if you had, like a 20 watt 24" light over 2 10 gallon tanks, would both tanks get 20 watts, or like 10 each?

Light is required for most life forms, so if youre keeping fish or plants, yes.

I think 1 watt per gallon is insufficient for most applications. You might run into alot of algae problems in the future.

anythingscales said:

I think 1 watt per gallon is insufficient for most applications. You might run into alot of algae problems in the future.

1 wpg is more than enough unless you are keeping plants - and even then some plants will do just fine.

I have a 50 gallon sw tank with only LR and fish in it. Will 52 watts be enough I have the T5 series coralife light with the sunlight lamp and the actinic(sp) 26 watts each.

Pufferowners said:
I have a 50 gallon sw tank with only LR and fish in it. Will 52 watts be enough I have the T5 series coralife light with the sunlight lamp and the actinic(sp) 26 watts each.

I would post this in the SW forum - they are going to know a whole lot more than us freshwater people.

Tony Starks said:
anythingscales said:

1 wpg is more than enough unless you are keeping plants - and even then some plants will do just fine.

Yes they will do fine, but brown algae will do better!

anythingscales said:
Tony Starks said:
anythingscales said:

Yes they will do fine, but brown algae will do better!

brown 'algae' isn't algae, its brown diatoms...tiny life forms that feed of silicates in the water.

every new tank goes through this, and it eventually clears up. diatoms don't seem to like very strong light, but since they aren't photosynthetic life forms, 1wpg doesn't 'feed' them like it could a true algae.

Back
Top Bottom