weak individuals in group of Geos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a group of 6 Geophagus orange head tapajos in my 90g tank. There are 2 male and 4 female. I have kept them for a year now since they arrived at the size of 1.5". The male are growing nicely, with length of 5"+ and showing nice color. However, the problem I now face is that 3 of the female are growing relatively slow. Those three are often chased away by the males once they leave their own territory, so they stay at their corner most of the time.
img_3241454_0_38b682c5d946837985f918963bd4e963.jpg

img_3241454_1_79c32b3345f58d16b7ce27d8892ec570.jpg

The first photo shows one of my weak female, which is about 3.5" now, while the second photo shows the same fish with a male. The fish on the top is one of the male, while the bottom one is one of the female. As you can see, it is significantly smaller than the male and is showing the stress bar. I first thought of it as the difference between sex, but one of the female, which is a fixed partner of a male, grow quite nicely and is not chased by the males (apparently with the protection of one of the male).
img_3241454_2_73d895c0dbe873a66af1c166eb9ee536.jpg

This picture shows three fish. The first from right is a weaker female, while the second fish is a stronger female. The fish at the back is a male. As you can see, there are a large size difference.

My questions are as follow:
1. Judging from the photo, do you think my weaker female is stressed out?

2. If so, do you think the reduced growth rate and color is a result of the stress?

3. If there is stress, the only source would be the aggression from the males. Is there anything I could do with it? I would prefer to reduce the aggression level of the males or reduce their territory size if it can be done.

Just like people some will be fat and some will be thin and some will be aggressive and some meek, it is what it is. As long as the fish is eating and not being hurt its just the hierarchy that has been established.

I've noticed when growing out South Americans, and specifically when I had my group of geo pindare, that there is naturally going to be a runt. I have one uaru growing out right now who is smaller than everyone else, but eats fine and is growing.

Goes tend to create a hierarchy amongst themselves, and unfortunately it can sometimes come down on one individual, or even a couple

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom