Weekly problem with Nitrite

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jbozz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
For a nano tank,

Is there any way we can do to counter the nitrite problem beside having 20% water change on weekly basis? I've experienced 0.6 and 0.4 to date but after water change get back to 0. Fortunately no casualty during water change.

I was thinking of installing Eheim, Hydor or Tetra canister? any of these canister will help maintain for at least 1 month without water change?

Or will adding RO water will reduce the impact? How about adding WEISS bacter boast, will it help?

Did you cycle the tank? That`s really strange. You really need to find out what is the source of these nitrites. They could be anything from overfeeding to something dieing in the tank. BTW PWC`s have several different benefits. They dilute excessive nutrients, add trace elements back to your water that have been used up through different fish and inverts processes and help restore salinty to your water. I would try to keep up with PWC`s instead of trying to get out of them esp. in a nano tank.

Jbozz, I read with great interest all your posts. In one you have pristine water conditions, in another you have a nitrite issue, in another you let everyone know that you're housing tangs and about 10 fish or so in a 15g nano. Now you want to go a month without changing the water in a nano? I suspect your going to do it anyway regardless and that you'll add that anenome as well. Based on this post I would venture that you didn't even cycle the tank. I believe you also said that you don't have any test kits so even if you did cycle (or you think you did) odds are it never finished. To the best of my knowledge you have a HOB that you started in early May, way over stocked, no skimmer, sump and what looks like 5 lbs of LR.

BTW there is no way to take .6 nitrite reading and do a 20% PWC and get to 0. Simply impossible PERIOD.

Your obviously getting great advice from your 'expert' somewhere else. Why go through this here? Every piece of advice, bar none, that you have gotten you have either contradicted, argued with or dismissed.

So, what's the end game here? Just argumentative, enjoy the banter, proving a point or truly looking for others advice and opinions?

If it's opinion then:

Lose the tang and half of the other fish
Forget the anenome
Raise your SG or be happy with a few fish
Do your water changes
Hope your cycle finishes before it finishes your fish
Get a test kit
Read Read Read Read Read Read Read

Enjoy your day

Will Canister Filter help, which brand?

Well, i can sustain and maintain the water at pristine level, thru weekly water changes. But the question and challenge here is, how to delayed water change for nano tank for 1 month?

I've bought lots of test kit, to test the water forthnightly.

img_875088_0_58e9ba67ac7060077a27981a5679e605.jpg

I'm thinking to improve the biological substances, or get a canister either Eihem, Hydor, or Tetra which 1 is best to do the job?

As a fellow Nano-er, there is no avoiding water changes if you want a healthy tank and "pristine" water conditions. Read some of the articles posted and it will help you understand the importance of those water changes in a small tank. Chemicals and filters can't replace basic maintenance. Why are you concerned about the water changes? Do you have access to good quality RO/DI water?

nano tank or not you need water changes..... no point to add a filter to replace maintance. anyways eheim filter are good. i used to have one the come with pretty cool quick disconect fittings.

IMO , for the basic tests API are quite serviceable. Though I (and many others) have said this before test kits and throwing good money after bad aren't the issue. The primary issue is, and remains, 3 things.

You
You
and your reflection

It's just a shame that so many others are getting caught up in these tangents of your multiple threads. though I guess that is the beauty of the internet forum.

If it wasn't for the harm you are doing to your livestock or to others who may actually think you're doing even ONE thing right I'd think this was some fish candid camera thing.

Sadly it isn't

As a relative newbie, I'm sure I asked a lot of stupid questions and made my share of mistakes. Although I tried to read and learn before setting up my tank, the fact is not everyone who comes to the forum does that, for whatever reason. As I understand it, the purpose of this site, is educational. Whether someone chooses to listen or not, is up to them.

Obviously, jbozz, you've figured out that some big mistakes have been made in setting up your first tank. I assume you've gotten some bad advice somewhere. However, these folks do know what they are talking about and have the best of intentions. So, read, listen and learn and you will discover what a wonderful and rewarding hobby saltwater fish can be! Good luck!

I am shocked at the persistance Jbozz Take a step back and think this threw a bit. Why would you not change the water for a month Just don't feel like it? In your tank a water change would take like 10min not a big deal and it benefits so many things. There is a science to maintaining a saltwater aquarium and so much to learn it takes years to learn how to try and reproduce the ocean enviroment even after years and years everything is still not learned. We are glad to have you as part of our forum but just take things slow and absorb the information. The way I look at it is if the majority of people do things a certain way there is most likely a good reason its better to favor with the majority at first until you understand why things are done a certain way and also understand the negative effect of not doing things a certain way.

Thanks for the info

:-D Thanks for all the info.

Generally, i just wanted to know, whether canister filter Eheim, Hydor or Tetra will help improve or tackle the biological loads of my nano tank considering the fact, i'm doing water change on weekly basis as i knew if i don't do it, my nitritie will rise to 0.6 or 0.4 :confused:

There are few methods, i can practice to ensure tip top water condition, at the moment i'm doing water change on weekly basis. :cool:

I'm seeking advise whether a canister filter, or using RO water will help to prolong the water change process. :cool:

If you're just looking for a yes or no answer... "no" - adding a filter or using RO water won't increase the time between water changes. Increasing time between water changes, and "pristine" water conditions are two things that do NOT go hand in hand. You can't do one and expect the other.

I'm going to make one more try at this...

A properly cycled tank, with the correct amount of fish in it, should not be having a nitrite problem. If a tank can not support a bacteria population (without using bacteria "boosters" etc) that will take care of the ammonia and nitrites from the fish you have, that means you either need more places for the bacteria to call home (more live rock) or fewer fish.

In normal situations, I'd say adding more live rock would help. But you have a situation in which you don't just have an overloaded nano... but you have a super-overloaded nano. There is a point at which you can add so many fish, that no matter what you do with the tank, there is no way you can rid yourself of the ammonia or nitrites. I believe you're there.

All the questions you've posted here so far, really involve in one way or another the fact that you have so many fish in a 15g tank.

The only answer I can come up with for this issue/question is "Troll."

Like water changes on a nano tank, I think the answer to these threads might be "skip 'em-they're too much work."

I just deleted a whole paragraph after remembering that I'm supposed to be a mentor now. Some people just can not be mentored. The will do as they please.

It really discourages people from answering your questions when you don't listen to what everyone else has already said.

Nitrogen in, Nitrogen out. You have a ton of fish for the size of tank, so they have to be fed, so that nitrogen that was in the food has to be removed through water changes. Sure overfiltering the tank will help convert that nitrogen from one form to another, but you'll still end up with really high nitrates if you're not doing regular water changes. In fact, you may have to do more than once a week changes if you want to keep anything other than fish in that overcrowded setup.

WOW! I think enough has been said on this topic. I was just reading your other posts and it seems the great info is falling on uncaring ears. Ahab nice catch and the rest nicely done.

A properly cycled tank, with the correct amount of fish in it, should not be having a nitrite problem. If a tank can not support a bacteria population (without using bacteria "boosters" etc) that will take care of the ammonia and nitrites from the fish you have, that means you either need more places for the bacteria to call home (more live rock) or fewer fish.

Kurt u got the point right, the right question here will be, if u add an Eheim, Hydor, or Tetra canister filter, replacing the filter with crush liverock, adding Bacteria Boast, and also replace the water with RO. Will it help to sustain minimal or low nitrite?

I think you are seeing first hand that you can't hurry nature. I don't put much faith in those band aid/quick cycle "snake oils", but then again, I like to keep it as natural as possible.

Kurt u got the point right, the right question here will be, if u add an Eheim, Hydor, or Tetra canister filter, replacing the filter with crush liverock, adding Bacteria Boast, and also replace the water with RO. Will it help to sustain minimal or low nitrite?

NO.

YOU

HAVE

TOO

MANY

FISH.

Mentor or not, I'm not sure how else to say it.

With the amount of life in your tank, I'm pretty darn sure that even if you had every nook and cranny filled with live rock, you would still not be able to maintain "pristine" water conditions. And there are a LOT more knowledgeable people here than me that have told you the exact same thing.

[Edit: Just got done doing some Google searching and see that this isn't the first forum you've received this advice from. I'm done playing this game. Good luck!]

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom