weeping moss and a moss wall ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

firebapx

Aquarium Advice Regular
hey guys another question from me lol. one i saw weeping moss and i love the look of it see that peopple like to put it on drift wood. just wondering if if will spread to other parts of the tank or does it stay on the drift wood ?

also what excatly is a moss wall apart from the obveous a wall of moss lol. whats it used for and how can i make one i live the sound of it ?

A moss wall is mostly a very good looking background. It is also a hiding place for shrimp and fry. You can make one using screen or plastic canvas by placing the moss between 2 pieces. You can wait for it to grow out or you and fish some of the strands through, and that is time consuming, but then the moss will grow through the holes and fill in nicely.

(That is a project I am considering for my RCS tank)

Here's a link:

http://www.aquamoss.net/How%20to%20create%20a%20moss%20wall/How%20to%20create%20a%20moss%20wall.htm

A moss wall is mostly a very good looking background. It is also a hiding place for shrimp and fry. You can make one using screen or plastic canvas by placing the moss between 2 pieces. You can wait for it to grow out or you and fish some of the strands through, and that is time consuming, but then the moss will grow through the holes and fill in nicely.

(That is a project I am considering for my RCS tank)

Here's a link:

Aquatic Moss. How to Create a Moss Wall. Create backdrop using aquatic moss. How to grow Aquatic Moss. Info on Java Moss, Christmas Moss, Taiwan Moss, Peacock Moss, Stringy Moss

i must admit it does look excellent what's the risk of the moss spreading to my whole tank if i do this. defiantly want to give it a go though

If you bind it tightly you wont have much escaping. The hardest part is getting enough to fill in the whole area.

for binding could i use garden wire for tiying up plants and i suppose i could buy a small amount of moss and grow it in a seperate water container ?

Sure. Or you can use plastic zip ties or fishing line or nylon thread (anything but cotton). The moss grows pretty slowly unless you have a really good system with good lighting, ferts and co2 (at least I havent been able to get it to grow very fast).

have to find some where that can send loads then lol you got any info on my other moss question ?

If you want the moss to stay on the driftwood, you need to tie it down. I use 4 lb test brown fishing line. Some pieces still break off and get into the filter or clings to other decor, but overall it mostly stays in place.

excillent mate thanks for the info and the links youv been very helpful

Back
Top Bottom