Weird brown slimy bubbly alage problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oceansaway

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
image-3061756339.jpg

Is anybody have any experience with this type without you? My water parameters are as follows nitrates are less than 10 ppm. Phosphate's list .05 ppm. Calcium at 340 ppm alkalinity 9. Using aqua illuminators SOL LED pendants for lighting aqua C downdraft protein skimmer, it's a 110 gallon reef tank. water changes performed weekly minimum 10%. The incoming water that I use I measured the TDS today and it is reading at 1ppm. What am I missing?

Looks like a type of hair algae. Hermits and turbos can help control it, but I suspect there might be some other issues going on. Any idea on what your magnesium is at? Depleted mag can help hair algae thrive.

Not sure on the mag levels, I'll look into a kit but it's not hair algae, the long brown strand breaks apart if u touch it and is connected to the other short brown slime. Could too much light (intensity and/or amount it's on) be causing this outbreak? It comes back weekly even after I've siphoned it out and scrubbed the rock it is on.

There are hundreds (maybe thousands) of species of hair algae. It sure looks like it to me.

Yes it does look like one of the two especially if the feeling is correct. It looks more filamentous in your photos to me. I'd try their remedies for the latter first and see how it goes. Oh the joys of algae outbreaks.

Back
Top Bottom