Weird dots on glass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alex10is

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi guys,

I came home today to find that my dwarf puffer tank has weird white dots on the glass. Can anyone tell me what it is? Thanks.

image-3083889227.jpg

Do they move around like teeny tiny worms? If so they're harmless & usually will go away with less feeding & good vacuuming. Some fish will eat them.

I can tell you exactly what it is. And it is NOT planaria. It is a harmless worm called detritus. You can do some research on it. I started getting them bad when my glofish started breeding and the eggs and fry that don't make it out the rocks die and these worms thrive off of the waste. The reason for them coming out of the gravel is because of an explosion of the population and low oxygen levels. Also I feel like live plants bring them in.

They only way I found to make them less visible is upgrading the filter. This provides better filtration and more oxygen. The cleaner it is the less worms there will be. The fish eat them though and it is a good source of food. Especially for fry who need to eat constantly.

Can you tell me your water parameters and the siZe tank and which filter you are using?

I can tell you exactly what it is. And it is NOT planaria. It is a harmless worm called detritus. You can do some research on it. I started getting them bad when my glofish started breeding and the eggs and fry that don't make it out the rocks die and these worms thrive off of the waste. The reason for them coming out of the gravel is because of an explosion of the population and low oxygen levels. Also I feel like live plants bring them in.

They only way I found to make them less visible is upgrading the filter. This provides better filtration and more oxygen. The cleaner it is the less worms there will be. The fish eat them though and it is a good source of food. Especially for fry who need to eat constantly.

Can you tell me your water parameters and the siZe tank and which filter you are using?

0 ammonia 0 nitrite 5 nitrate
15 gallon
Aqueon 20 hob filter

Parameters look good. Try to vacuum the gravel real good and if you really wanna clear up the water and the detritus worms go and get a fluval aquaclear 30 hob and use that. Or you could get the fluval aquaclear 20 and run it and your aqueon 15 at the same time on each side of the tank. I would go with the 30. It will clear everything right up. Wipe the sides of the tank and gravel vac.

Hi guys,

I came home today to find that my dwarf puffer tank has weird white dots on the glass. Can anyone tell me what it is? Thanks.

View attachment 174655

I'm glad you posted that because I noticed last night that I had the same thing on my DP tank. I think it's because he's not eating his food that's causing those little worm things.

The only way I found is to upgrade to a bigger filter. If you have a 15 I suggest an aquaclear 30 at least.

Another thing I did was change out the gravel but then you risk losing all the beneficial bacteria in it. But IMO the filter has enough of the BB

Back
Top Bottom