Weird jelly like thing in my fry tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bmtiz92

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm moving my fry into a larger tank (the one they were in was kind of an OMG THERE'S FRY IN MY TANK thing). I found this weird jelly sacks with little dots in them, The only thing in this tank are a couple cleaner shrimp (glass), guppy fry, and one lonely little snail that hitched a ride with my plants. Could it be from the snail? Or is it some kind of fungus or something? Here's a picture of the jelly stuff, and the snail in question.

Attachments

• photo(3).jpg
    photo(3).jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 281
  • photo(4).jpg
    photo(4).jpg
    209 KB · Views: 227
  • photo(5).jpg
    photo(5).jpg
    235.5 KB · Views: 180
Ya u do not want pond snails trust me!!!! I speak from a very bad experience. So bad in fact I decided to wash my entire tank, replace my gravel, and soak my fake plant and my old decoration in super hot water. I was sick of those dang things. Literally hundreds of em and it was only a 5 gallon. Now I haven't seen a single snail in months. I'm so happy! :)

How on earth do I have snail eggs with only one snail?! Will they still hatch without a male snail in there?

Are pond snails even bad for the tank? Or are they just annoying to look at?

They are annoying to look at if you have so many of em. They also produce ALOT of waste. From all the snails i had you would not believe how much they pooped. Omg! Snail poo everywhere. It adds up.

Oh and guess why you have snail eggs with just one snail.... Pond Snails don't need to mate because they are hermaphrodites and have both male and female organs. Mating just helps em reproduce faster.

It only takes one.

Oh geez, and I bet there's no way to make sure I've gotten them all out, either??:banghead:

Mumma.of.two said:
It's not that bad. I have a few in my 70g. The fish keep the small ones in check and I smoosh the biggest ones.

Hahah ya smoosh em!

They can clean up food that your fry doesn't get :) I liked mine, I only had one he never bred so I only had one.

Pond snails would be ok if one did not create a colony. I at one point had 1 snail, then one became a out of control population. I was squishing as many as I could everyday. My loaches ate some but never enough. They were breeding to quickly for them to keep up. Then I tried Melafix in my tank for about a week in small amounts they all vanished. I figured they did not like tea tree oil.

I have at LEAST a hundred babies in my 20! Everything is speckled!

Hmm well, I guess I'll keep the little guy since he's a good cleaner, and just try to remove all the egg sacs. Thanks everyone for the help!

Back
Top Bottom