weird lump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zephyr

Aquarium Advice Freak
When I switched my lights on this morning, i noticed my eldest dwarf neon rainbowfish had a perculiar lump above its gills, near the top of the side of its head. It seems to exhibit a more pinky colour on this lump.

Also, it has had a largish dark pink patch on the other side of it's body (bottom of its body, situated about halfway across its body) for a couple of weeks.

It's been more psycho and disturbed than normal for a while now too..

-So, anyone have any clue.. i'll try to photograph when i get soem time..
?????????????????????????????

Not uncommon in rainbows but I can't identify a cause. I have nicknamed it "The WHITENING" I see it in lots of pet stores. It could be advanced TB. I have a neon rainbow that I need to due a post-mortem on. QT and try kanamycin or tetracycline.

Piscine Tuberculosis. You may be able to find the antibiotics at pet stores, but you may have to find it online (Maracyn II is minocycline, a tetracycline derivative; Aquarium Products makes a tetracycline gel-based food). If those don't help, the cysts could be from internal parasites. I had a Swordtail with what I believed to be a TB cyst under its eye. After tetracycline and medicated food, she's doing fine and the cyst is gone.
Fishy TB is not easily transmitted to humans, but be sure to wear gloves when you have your hands in the aquarium, especially if you have any cuts or sores on your hands/arms.

Apocalypse_Gold said:
Fishy TB is not easily transmitted to humans, but be sure to wear gloves when you have your hands in the aquarium, especially if you have any cuts or sores on your hands/arms.

EEK! what the ____? omg, dead on the floor!
that isn't a good thought!

I wouldn't risk my own health for a fish ..

I think euthanasia is in order.

Transmission to humans is very rare and not life threatening, especially if you know the risk. It does not cause human TB. It may cause cysts to form at point of infection. It is easily treatable. The problem is when someone gets a cyst in their hand and the doctor has no idea what it is because they don't know that they are treating an exotic fish disease.

haha truueee..

okay so i've QT'd the fish, and i'm treating it for parasites or whatever i get confused, anyway..
so i'm also treating my community tank (where it came from) for parasites in case its in the gravel, etc.

if this doesn't make a difference, i'll assume this is ether TB or a tumour (i mean its pretty old looking)

thanks for the help!

Back
Top Bottom