Weird mouth growth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Millerman

Aquarium Advice Activist
Is this some type of fungal or bacterial infection? ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425105489.050725.jpg
Sorry it's really hard to photograph them.

It is one bloodfin terra with a large white/pink bump on his mouth. A few other of the tetras have a similar things on their mouth but none as big as this one. It seems to be getting worse.
Ammonia-0
Nitrite-0
Nitrates-10

They are in a 55 gallon aquarium that has been set up for at least 3 months. The tetras are around 2 weeks old. I had one tetra die. I'm not sure why.

One fish suggests fungal, several suggests bacterial. Would cotton-mouth fit?

Have you had a few tanks with problems?

Edit - I'd better check. How's tank ph and temp? Have they been constant?

Since multiples have it it makes me wonder if it is columnaris. Is it possible to get a closer pic? Is it just cottony looking growth or does it also seem like the face is melting away?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Good news it's looking a lot better today and regaining color. I'm wondering if maybe he just hit it on a rock or something? A few others had discolored spots but nothing big and swollen like the one I photographed. It never looked fuzzy like cotton mouth.

Can't really tell much from the pic but yes, I'd be looking into what caused it as well. It seems very odd.

Sorry they're so hard to get a still photo off

Back
Top Bottom