Weird skin thing.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

knutsen1122

Aquarium Advice Freak
Had anyone ever seen this? I just noticed it today. It seems to only be on my 3 amphilophus labiatus. I have 8 other fish in the tank and nothing. Any ideas what this could be?ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1423195021.229107.jpg

It looks like it could be the beginnings of a fungal infection or ick. It would be best to quarantine and treat it.

Ok ok here we go :)

1~What type of fish is afflicted? In addition, please describe what is wrong with the fish to the best of your ability (i.e. cotton like growth, bloated, etc.).

F1 Amphilophus Labiatus

2~What are your tank parameters (ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, temp, pH)? Please give exact values.

0,0,0, 78, 7.5

3~ How large is the tank? How long has the tank been set up?

100g, 7 months

4~What type of filtration are you using? Please give the name and number (i.e. Fluval 304) and amount of gph if known. Fluval fx5, hydro sponge 5~How many fish are in the tank? What kinds of fish are they and what are their current sizes? 15 fish total (I know it's a lot but I keep it very clean, and they are young) 1-Amphilophus Labiatus 6", 2-Amphilophus Labiatus 4 1/2", 1-Robertsoni 6", 1-Rivulatis 5", 1- excichlasoma festae 3 1/2", 2-Grophagus brasiliensis 3 1/2", 2-geophagus surinamensis 3", 1-Polypterus ornatipinnis 9", 2- Pterygoplichthys scrophus 2 1/2" 1- Pterygoplichthys gibbiceps 7" 6~When is the last time you did a water change and vacuum the gravel? How often do you do this? How much water do you remove at a time? 3 20% wc a week. Gravel vac 4 times a week. 7~How long have you had the fish? If the fish is new, how did you acclimate it/them? All fish over 2 months 8~Have you added anything new to the tank--decor, new dechlorinator, new substrate, etc.? No 9~What kind of food have you been feeding your fish, have you changed their diet recently? Southern delight power feed, no diet change. DONE :)

just a stupid long shot here but I'm kinda thinking he's carrying a egg sack in his mouth
reason I say that looks almost like what mine looked like when she had her eggs

It looks like it could be the beginnings of a fungal infection or ick. It would be best to quarantine and treat it.

I have had problems that seemed to start with one species and then spread to others.

quarantineing wont do anything for the fish if ich is present, it will be to late and the whole tank will need to be treated. either way the added stress of quarantining this fish before knowing if that needs to be done could kill it in itself.

Back
Top Bottom