Weird Water Chemistry - Not a NOOB, just STUMPED!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dinokath

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey all,

Went through some **** (the swear filter cut out the word you use to describe the hot place you go to when you die if you are a bad person??! wow...) recently with my 3 year old fish only 55 gallon tank with a Magnum 350 and dual biowheels. The bio system crashed or something and I got what I can only figure to be a horrible bacteria bloom. Water was cloudy, I mean like milk. Horrible. I lost one fish, who wasn't doing well to begin with and was a little old (a pleco with a swim bladder problem, figured it to be a blockage, tried peas, tried broccoli, tried zucchini, no go. He died. I was VERY bummed.)

Current tank load is:
Three 3" bala sharks
Two Kissing Gourami's
One Blue Gourami
Two VERY old Zebra Danio's
EDIT - I have been feeding them once every three days just enough to make sure they eat it all in 5 minutes, so no chance of over feeding them here...

Hardly what I would call an overload for a 55 gallon tank, but if you keep reading, it is possible my tank is beginning to cycle, which could be a problem, but I have no where else to put them! To bring you up to date on my **** experience. I wound up taking everything out of the tank, with the exception of the fish. I mean gravel, fake plants, fake rocks, everything. I disassembled the entire filter system, bleached it, cleaned it, reassembled it and got it flowing again. My bio-wheels were crammed with stinky and I mean STINKY nasty crud. I had smelled them before and they never really stunk, just smelled like a fish tank, like a nice clean river or stream. Well, these babies were rank, so I bleached them too. Plus my ammonia kept spiking to 6ppm using a salicylate test, which from what I understand reads the dangerous ammonia.

Some told me it was a mistake to bleach the bio-wheels, some said that is what they would have done. It's in the past now and it is done. That was was on 3/21, 10 days ago...

NOW, two days ago, the cloudy water is back! Here's what I have done between 3/21 and two days ago:

- replaced the gravel with Eco-complete
- After all the reading I did, it kind of jumpstarted my interest in getting back into making a great aquarium and boosted my interest in the hobby again. I always wanted a planted tank, but never had the $$. Have a few buck to spend now so I hooked myself up with pressurized CO2, a REAL light (had that cheap light that comes with the tank, like 18 watts or something. Got a twin light 108watt T5HO setup) and the other associated goodies needed for a planted tank. Anyway, I digress....
- 75% water change - I know, way too much, but you didn't see my water. It was milk I tell you, milk. The micron polisher wasn't touching it.
- Switched the activated carbon based filter over to ceramic media. I read everywhere that activated carbon and planted tanks don't get along.
- Changed the spun foam sleeve on the filter
- Put about two handfuls of crushed coral in the canister to boost KH in anticipation of the planted tank to boost buffering capacity.

The Eco-complete went in last Thursday. It was cloudy after putting it in, sure, but it cleared up nicely and the water was beautiful. I took the original gravel I took out of the tank, stuck about three handfuls in a sieve media bag and stuck it down on Eco-complete to help boost the bio-filter's rebuilding. Water chemistry was fine at the time:

3/26/2009 (after adding the Eco-complete and letting everything settle out)
Temp - 76F
pH - 7.0
Ammonia - 0ppm
Nitrates - 0 (wasn't expecting any)
Nitrites - 0 (same here, wasn't expecting any)
GH - 3 degrees
KH - 3 degrees
CO2 - 6ppm (getting ready for a planted tank, so figured I'd get a starting point - the injected CO2 system is NOT installed yet....)

Checked again on 3/29/2009
pH - 7.6
GH - 4 degrees
KH - 4 degrees
NO3 - 0.1 ppm
Ammonia - 0 ppm (yes, zero)

My tap water is as follows:
pH - 7.0
GH - 3 degrees
KH - 3 degrees
Nitrites - 0 (they better be...)
Nitrates - 0 (same thing, they better be)

SO, what is so weird? Well, just took a tank water sample reading:

3/31/2009
Temp - 76F
pH - 7.6 (to be expected with the crushed coral, right?)
Nitrates - 0
Nitrites - .05 (seems normal, eh?)
Ammonia - 2.5ppm (This is an NH3/NH+4 test remember):eek: :confused:
GH - 5ppm:confused:
KH - 2ppm :confused:
CO2 - Didn't check.

So, my questions are:

- Is my tank cycling again?? I read that the beneficial bacteria are all over the tank, on the walls, in the gravel, etc, so even though I cleaned all of what I cleaned, there should have been a substantial amount of bacteria on the tank walls, yes?

- What is up with the KH?? I am using crushed coral to boost buffering and increase alkalinity and it is dropping?

- Why would pH increase and KH decrease given all I have described?

I have been dosing with Seachem Prime and Seachem Stability per the instructions on the bottle. Those a pretty good products from what I have read. That's the extent of my tank's chemical dependency. Not a big fan of chemicals but I need/want to keep my fish alive. They are cheap little fish, but they are trusting me to keep them alive and I take that seriously! Plus, I want a nice clean pretty tank to look at too...

I looked over my fish 'diary' and this is what I had in there. Plus, it has only been a week so it should be easy enough to remember! Based on what you have read here, any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Dean

Hi Dean and welcome to AA! It does sound like you are going through another cycle. Your biggest "carriers" of the bacteria were your filter/filter media and gravel and both were either cleaned or removed, so I would definitely think you are going through another cycle. I would recommend Prime also and doing water changes daily to keep ammonia/nitrites down. Do you have any live plants in there now? If you could get your hands on a bunch that would help and they would help absorb some of the toxins that are harmful to your fish. There are lots of members on here that sell plants or you could barter/trade - just go to the classified and barter/trade section, or to be quicker you could try your lfs for plants. Also, do you have any friends with a healthy tank that would let you seed your tank with some of their filter media or gravel? That would help a lot also. Good luck and keep posting with questions, there's a lot of knowledge on these boards :)

A bit strange in terms of the KH, pH.

You would expect that with the crushed coral, your pH would go up (7.6 is about right.) But you would also expect the KH to go up with it. The only thing I can think of is test error. <After all, if the KH is disappearing in the tank, the pH should be falling with it ....>

Anyway, if the pH is remaining stable in the tank, I would just let it be & worry about your mini-cycle instead.

Thanks Beta and Jsoon.

No plants in the tank. I don't have a good light source at the moment. Went to the LFS looking for something low light this morning and didn't see anything that fit the bill that looked healthy. Last thing I need is a dying/decaying plant in there! I figured I'd leave well enough alone and wait for my new light to arrive next week.

This sounds horrible, but the timing on this whole thing is bad. I have to go out of town for a week and a half and am leaving this up to a 14 year old to manage for me....

Here's what I am doing to mitigate it:

- Took a Whisper hang on tank filter. Took everything out of it. Loaded it up with zeolite ammo chips and some crushed coral. That should help boost the KH and remove some ammonia too. My tank looks like it is on life support! It is pathetic...
- Got an Enheim Liquidoser and set it to drop 8ml of Prime daily plus the fish sitter is coming by every three days to feed our cat. I asked her to dose the tank with pre measured doses of Prime (10mls) to further cut the ammonia, nitrites and nitrates down.
- Asked the fish sitter to closely look in the tank for any floaters and remove. As much as they have been though, I wouldn't be surprised to find one but wouldn't be surprised if they made it through OK. They have been fine and look OK to me. No signs of stress at the moment...
- Fish sitter will also dose with Biozyme (old school, I know, but it has been what I have used to start a tank for over 20 years!) while I am out.

Doing a 25% PWC now and then will dose with Prime before I leave, in an hour, at twice the dosage. I don't know how long Prime is 'active' in the water, but it won't harm the fish.

Thanks again for the advice. I will post when I am back in town with an update and/or further questions!

Dean

Update:

Tank is all cleared up now. No losses. Water chemistry is as follows:

pH - 7.2
KH - 2
GH - 10 (?? - I am getting another tester. That has to be wrong, right?)
Ammonia - 0 ppm
Nitrite - >1ppm
Nitrate - 10 ppm
Phosphate - 5ppm (got this because I am getting ready to start planting the tank and figured why not report it here!)

These reading were taken 12 hours after a 25% PWC. I am still concerned the KH isn't rising....

Back
Top Bottom