Well, frustrated with ammonia.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Crew

Aquarium Advice Freak
At this point I'm seriously considering just craigslisting it all.
Left home for two weeks to be up in Canada. My ammonia hasn't changed since. Don't have a precise mesurement but it looks like it's at about 2ppm.
Hasn't changed at all.
Also my water has a yellow tint, always has.
I'm... Beyond frustrated at this point.

Relax. My tanks been cycling since Feb. and after a couple of changes, its all cycling smoothly. Try throwing some established filter media in there.

Dylan5359 said:
Relax. My tanks been cycling since Feb. and after a couple of changes, its all cycling smoothly. Try throwing some established filter media in there.

I really should find some.
Think my LFS would lend me something?
Or give me for that matter.

Yeah, depending on your relationship with them. If they don't have a filter cartridge or something ask for a handful of sand or gravel from their tanks.

Last edited:
I really should find some.
Think my LFS would lend me something?
Or give me for that matter.

Def worth a shot ... especially if you have a nice rapport with them. Do you have any DW / Bogwood / Peat in the tank? Could explain the yellowish tint maybe.

Are you fishless cycling? I can send you some mature media if you want..not sure what shipping costs would be but I'd guess less than $5-6 for priority mail.

Yeah I agree. If you have DW in the tank, that's what's causing the tinge. It's actually beneficial towards fish, but it tends to be unsightly.

People on AA will happily hand you some established filter media. Like double nerds here.

The yellow tint is just in our tap water.
It's well water, if that means anything.
And I'm in very good rapport with my LFS.
I am fishless cycling, the only live thug in my tank is a moss ball.

I have no idea how to get rid of the yellow tinge if it is actually in your water. Maybe buying jugs of Poland spring and using that for the aquarium? Sorry. If the LFS says no talk to doublenerds. I would gladly send you some established filter media, but I don't have a FW tank setup at the moment. Just SW.

Ok well then your WELL's got to be chock full of hard water ... helps explains the tint.

Guess your LFS is your next stop ... old filter media, substrate, decorations, even plants would help. Anacharis could just be floated and when the tank's cycled, either plant it ... or discard it.

eco23 said:
What brand of ammonia are you using and what is your pH level?

The ace hardware janitorial strength stuff.
I got that idea from others on this site.

And my ph is highh. No matter what I do it stays at around 8-8.4

Are you using a quality test kit like an API master kit? A pH in extreme levels can definitely slow the process...but I don't believe you're anywhere near that point. It is odd though to have a high pH value and have the LFS tell you the water is soft. Are you perhaps using a water softener in your home?

The brand of ammonia is definitely correct. Are you using a water conditioner? Even though you are on a well, they are still a good idea to use in order to neutralize any heavy metals or other undesirable things in your water column.

Seeded media is basically a guaranteed way to get things moving, just make sure it is taken from an established and healthy tank so you don't transmit any nasties into your tank.

If you haven't seen it, check out the guide and FAQ in my signature. It's a good idea to go back through the steps and make sure we didn't miss anything basic. Also, if you're not running carbon, it may be useful to absorb some of the discoloration in the water. However, I would not remove it until some time after the tank has cycled because the carbon itself can be a haven for the beneficial bacteria you are trying to grow if it is left in there for a significant amount of time.

Crew said:
The ace hardware janitorial strength stuff.
I got that idea from others on this site.

And my ph is highh. No matter what I do it stays at around 8-8.4

Don't worry about your ph I have well water too and my ph is 8.5 also and I have kept every fw fish I can think off with no problems just accumulate slowly they will adjust fine as for your cycle hang in there I am having troubles too just think how awesome it will be when it's all done and you can put that test kit away I have 7 tanks running and 1 cycling and I only test my water if something is wrong or I am cycling

eco23 said:
Are you using a quality test kit like an API master kit? A pH in extreme levels can definitely slow the process...but I don't believe you're anywhere near that point. It is odd though to have a high pH value and have the LFS tell you the water is soft. Are you perhaps using a water softener in your home?

The brand of ammonia is definitely correct. Are you using a water conditioner? Even though you are on a well, they are still a good idea to use in order to neutralize any heavy metals or other undesirable things in your water column.

Seeded media is basically a guaranteed way to get things moving, just make sure it is taken from an established and healthy tank so you don't transmit any nasties into your tank.

If you haven't seen it, check out the guide and FAQ in my signature. It's a good idea to go back through the steps and make sure we didn't miss anything basic. Also, if you're not running carbon, it may be useful to absorb some of the discoloration in the water. However, I would not remove it until some time after the tank has cycled because the carbon itself can be a haven for the beneficial bacteria you are trying to grow if it is left in there for a significant amount of time.

I'm likely going out and buying one soon. As of now I'm just using that sticky attached to the wall of my tank.
I have a conditioner, I suppose I'll use a bit of that then too.
Running carbon?

Crew said:
I'm likely going out and buying one soon. As of now I'm just using that sticky attached to the wall of my tank.
I have a conditioner, I suppose I'll use a bit of that then too.
Running carbon?

Activated carbon (little black granules) are used in some tanks to absorb odor, medicines when added, and sometimes color. It is normally not necessary to use unless it serves a specific function. Many filter cartridges come with carbon packed into the them, but this is a sales tactic to convince you the filters need to be changes monthly which is very bad for your beneficial bacteria colonies. It may be helpful in this case though to remove some of the discoloration.

Check out the FAQ section of the guide in my signature, theres some info about different filter media including carbon, and how and when to replace it. :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom