Well I don't know if theres any more hope for my tiger barbs :( PLEASE HELP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kades

Aquarium Advice Regular
I dont know what's going on but after researching online all their symptoms match ich or shimmy. They look horrible, clamped fins, not eating, and their doing the "swimming in place" thing. I don't know what to do. I've tried everything. Raising temps, frequant water changes. I had 8 I'm down to 4. 1 oddly seems to be fine. Some keep getting stuck in the filter. Should I just turn it of to make then more comfortable? Also, none of the other fish seem effected at all. They are thriving...this might be a stupid question but is it possible they have something that just their species of fish get? Or is out something they have had longer and my other fish haven't been hit with it? I'm terrified because of my blood parrot I really don't want anything to happen to her...I'm of corse treating all the fish just in case obviously btw :)

Anybody? Another one just died...I'm doing 50% water changes daily.
Nitrites 0
Nitrates 20
Ammonia 0
ph 8.0

I've noticed in the one that just passed that he was swimming very odd. Almost waving in a way and I could see a dark spot in his stomach like blood or something. It was like his stomach was see through...sorry but thats the best way i could think to describe it.

What size tank?

How long has tank been cycled?

How long have you had the fish?

You say you're "treating the fish" but what does that mean? Are you using meds?

40 gallon

Started tank on december 15th 2011

they are the fish I started cycling with so a month

No meds, gradually raised temp to 82 degrees that's where I am with heat now.

No salt because I have a dwarf frog and I'm not sure if that's ok

I have quick cure but haven't used it yet

So they do appear as if they've been sprinkled with salt? If so, that's ich.

You want your temp at 86, have you added an airstone?

Cycling with fish weakens them, so that's not helping.

You referred to something called "shimmy"? What is that?

Yes the have white specks on their fins. I read that shimmy is were it looks as if their swimming in place and not able to actually move anywhere. They also have clamped fins. all the other fish in the tank seem fine except the barbs.

Back
Top Bottom