Well water questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wolfie_47

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just moved back to my childhood home and now have well water rather than city water. I also now have room to set my aquariums back up! Now the question; I know that I should not use softened water in the tanks but I am also concerned about using the hard water from the well. The hardness doesn't concern me as much as the the well water seems to have a high level of Iron. We generally have to use some "Red Out" salt to keep the water crystal clear. Will the iron content be a problem for the livestock? Should I consider using bottled water instead? Other options?
I still need to pick up a test kit and find out exactly what the numbers are but I am trying to come up with alternate ideas ahead of time in case the well water is not going to work out.
Any advise would be greatly appreciated. :banghead:

before using well water my 1st question is it potable I had a well in North Carolina
the water wasn't potable so it was basically only to shower and toilet ,
If it's not good to drink its safe to say it's not good for fish , a good test is the only way to know , some things can be filtered but like anything you want to know whats in the water

Yes, it is potable and is the only water source at the residence. All indoor water is run through the softener, although we normally use bottled water for drinking and coffee the tap water is used for cooking and meal prep.

Back
Top Bottom