West Aussie needs help with sand substrate.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sort of hopeful I guess. DT sounds good news.

Busy weekend pre-Christmas but the tank is going well. CO2 injection seems to have settled down. The plants are doing better but have some problems still - grr.

Hi, No no change, finished the course of Tetracycline and they are still the same, did a huge water change 90%, cleaned the filter and gave them and me a days break! Started adding salt have 2 1/2 teaspoons in 10 litres and they seem fine, just been reading the link you sent on the salt, and to get 1% the chart says to add 10g per 1 litre of water, that would make 100g of salt in my 10 litre tank seems quit a lot works out at about 21 teaspoons. Also the other Meds I ordered have finally arrived, Myxazin, & Protozin, was going to try the Myxazin next apparently it is safe to use at the same time as the salt.

Have not lost any more and they are more active and eating more since the salt went in 2 days ago.

My DT still seems nice and stable, still no signs of any symptoms in there.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Fingers crossed!

Yes, that amount of salt is much larger than I have ever dosed. The impression I get is that if the fish can cope with the relatively sudden change in salinity, then they should be ok until at some point kidneys, etc start to go. Hopefully the fish is cured well before then.

Hi, hope everyone has had a wonderful Christmas, thought I would put an update on my sick fish,
I have just finished a course of Protozin on the QT tank my Balloon Mollie seems ok has had no symptoms for over 3 weeks now so I have put her back in the DT today. The Neons no change there, they are still the same! I have used every medication available in Australia that I know of and none of them have worked, so not sure what to do with them now, I have taken some more photos

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1419740975.719548.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1419741018.324830.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1419741042.468867.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1419741042.468867.jpg

If anyone has anymore ideas they would be most welcome.

Thanks

Hi, Merry Christmas. I was hoping no news was good news :(

Did you end up dosing to 1%(?) salt and combining with anything. All I can think of now is combinations and over dosing.

Hi, no I only got to 0.50% with the salt combined with Myxazin and the Tetras were not coping with it very well so stopped the salt. Am currently on 2nd course of Protozin at double strength they seem fine with that so far.

I guess I just have to keep experimenting till something works.?

Hi, that's still pretty high. Well over 1 US tablespoon per 1 gal if I remember rightly. This being the highest I commonly see suggested.

Did you try romet at all? Posting links. In contact with a guy overseas but it looks to be available in Australia.

http://www.guppysaquariumproducts.com.au/romet-tc-2oz.html

http://www.elephantcare.org/Drugs/sulfadxx.htm

http://www.aquafinn.com/products-minnfinn_med_feed.htm

Edit - the sulpha sounds similar to the triple sulpha we can get here where by itself it can knock down bacterial infections but may not wipe out (although it can do).

Last edited:
Thanks for that looks interesting, I will Finnish this course of Protozin and see how they are, if no better will consider one of those, I have spent literally hundreds of $ on medications, it is getting ridiculous !

Bloody fish suppose to be relaxing. Lol.

Thanks for that looks interesting, I will Finnish this course of Protozin and see how they are, if no better will consider one of those, I have spent literally hundreds of $ on medications, it is getting ridiculous !

Bloody fish suppose to be relaxing. Lol.

Yeah, I found the same problem with cost of meds. It got to a point and I said that's it.

I was going to investigate a bit further on the romet. In contact with an overseas supplier but the price from guppies looked good depending on postage.

Back
Top Bottom