whaddya know? He is a she!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jchillin

Aquarium Advice Addict
Several months ago, I removed one of my original trio of angels from my 75 gal to my 30 gal when two of them paired up and began attacking the angel with vehemence. Due to the level of these attacks, I had assumed that the angel I removed was a male. I was really convinced after the newly mated pair began spawning and the other did nothing. Albeit the angel was alone in the 30 gal since that time.

Well, on Sunday, during the halftime show, I looked into the 30 gal and saw this:

30galangel001.jpg

30galangel002.jpg

This was so sudden I was shocked. Now I really have a dilemma.

I had the same "he is a she" situation with my convicts. I couldn't figure out why my male convict with the oh-so-long and pointy dorsal and anal fins was killing every female I offered him as a mate!

So then I bought a very inexpensive pink convict male and they paired right up!

I could send Goldie over for the weekend. Just have him home buy Monday and don't let him drink he can get a little wild.

The he-she -ness of critters can be quite amusing.

OT: I was told that my black bunny was a he. I named him Theodore. I took him to the vet to be neutered only to find out that he was not a he but a she. (!!) So I had her spayed instead. If she was a lady bunny then she needed a name befitting her sophistocated solid black appearance. So she became Josephine.

My mother's male bunny was a sweetie and all was well. Then one day he had babies! It really spooked my mother. LOL.

JC, maybe your angel is a 'switch hitter'. :lol:

Check out this interesting article!
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11206577/

It would be neat if they could use this technique to breed rare endangered tropical fish using common surrogate species like zebra danios.

I'm going to look at the whole P.N.A.S. article at work tomorrow. I'm curious how they managed to distinguish the transplanted spermatogonia from the transplantees' own germ cells.

Back
Top Bottom