What about using feeders to cycle a tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrNitrite

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello to everyone. This is my first post and it's been awhile since I've had aquariums(all were freshwater). The new tank is a 20 long. I don't want to do the fishless cycle, so what about a couple of small feeder goldfish? If they die-no problem. And if they live, then I can give them to a fish store.

Bill

Welcome to AA :) I would never suggest using feeders, nor would most people on here. Its just the most in-humane way to cycle a tank. Feeders or not, they are still fish and they will still suffer while you poison them with ammonia. Fishless is the best way to go, and its quicker than using fish anyways... I highly suggest going the fishless route myself

Welcome to AA :) I would never suggest using feeders, nor would most people on here. Its just the most in-humane way to cycle a tank. Feeders or not, they are still fish and they will still suffer while you poison them with ammonia. Fishless is the best way to go, and its quicker than using fish anyways... I highly suggest going the fishless route myself

+1

Fishless cycle
Feederfish can be really dirty and have diseases etc.
Live bacteria can work in speeding the cycle up further (Stress Zyme to name one)

Sharpie, can you really use StressZyme to help cycle a tank? I didn't think it had enough bacteria or the right bacteria to do that. That would be wonderful though. I have heard of BioSpira, which was the ultimate tank cycler, but apparently they don't make it any more for freshwater tanks. I've been looking for something similar. I have another question, but don't want to hijack the thread, so I'll go and start another one.

Hello to everyone. This is my first post and it's been awhile since I've had aquariums(all were freshwater). The new tank is a 20 long. I don't want to do the fishless cycle, so what about a couple of small feeder goldfish? If they die-no problem. And if they live, then I can give them to a fish store.

Bill
fish-in cycling is a very common practice, and can be done, though the bleeding hearts will tell you otherwise. this method is by no means the best way to accomplish a cycle, and is generally frowned upon, but is one of many common practices.
as far as the functional properties of fish-in cycling, it is essentially the same as any other method. the fish provide the ammonia needed to colonize your bacteria. this can also be accomplished using MP, fish food, or bottled ammonia.

Back
Top Bottom