What am I doing wrong?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yohann976

Aquarium Advice Freak
I don't understand what I am doing wrong. My cardinal tetras are dieing. Initially, I purchased eight last week and now I have only one.

The first died on the trip home. Another died because it got caught in the filter. The third died within 24 hours. The forth jumped out of the tank. The other three died within the first week, leaving only one.

I have a 20 gallon tank that is heavily planted. I do fertilize with macros and micro nutrients. I also inject CO2 with the yeast method using a 2 liter bottle. My water parameters seem normal. Ammonia-0, Nitrite-0, Nitrate-10. My Ph is around 7.0. My water is a little on the hard side with a higher Ph, but the CO2 helps to bring down the Ph to neutral.

I'm not getting it; I'm not sure what the problem is. I've had aquariums for years and I've never lost fish like this. I've had a 90 gallon tank with discus and never had a problem with that. I think discus are easy compared cardinal tetras.

If they started dying before you even got them in your tank, then you probably got some weak fish. Have you bought from this store before? Did it look like they got hurt when netted? What other fish do you have in your tank?

I'm sorry for your loss.

I agree, if they started dieing off before you even got home, then there was something wrong with them before you even got them. Try getting them from another source.

I got the fish from one of the major retailers and I will admit that they didn't look the best. By no means did they look ill, but weren't as brilliantly colored as I've seen before. Plus, the girl didn't seem to be that skilled at netting them.

What I plan on doing is to go to my lfs and get a few cardinal tetras there. I know that the tetras have been established in his tanks. I know that many people wait until a store gets a delivery so that the fish are "fresh," but I would rather get fish that I know have been in a tank for awhile and had a chance to get nourishment.

Do you think that the yeast method for CO2 is alright for the tank? Also, my water is considered 'soft' because its about 50/50 tap and distilled (otherwise it would be very hard). Since I'm on the subject on water again, my water is alkaline according to my tests. Could that be a possible cause of death for my fish?

you should of went back with them and got a refund if they were dying on you before you got them home!
probably best not to put 8 fish in at once as well.

It seems to me (just from a lot of informal conversations I have had with folks) that cardinal tetras can be quite sensitive--even more sensitive than neon tetras (which themselves aren't the hardiest of fish in the world).

I'm not sure if that's because they really are delicate fish, or if they are just typically in pretty bad shape from shipping by the time most LFS's get them in stock, or whatever. But I've just heard a lot of horror stories than success stories about people keeping cardinal tetras alive. Even quite experienced aquarists often have a hard time keeping them alive for any length of time after getting them home from the store.

I realize that doesn't bring much consolation but at least it might make you feel better to know you are not alone.

JohnPaul, now that you mention it, I've had problems with cardinal tetras in the past as well. I have killed fish on two occasions. Once, because the solution in my yeast CO2 tank emptied out into my 90 gallon tank. The tube fed directly into the cannister filter and after a water change, I accidently turned the filter onto full blast. This caused a vacuum effect and sucked the sugar, water, yeast, and the byproduct alcohol into the tank. The discus lived, but the cardinal tetras died. The second occurance was when I purchased a whole lot of fish at one time and put them into my 75 gallon tank. All of the fish were alright except for the cardinal tetras. Most of them died off within a week.

I've noticed that cardinal tetras a very prone to death for the first couple of days (at least in my hands). If you can keep them alive for about a week, they are pretty easy to take care of (as long as they don't get alcohol in the tank!). I have a new game plan...I plan on purchasing the fish just a few at a time. I will be very, very selective with the fish that I buy. I must have patience because it could take quite a few weeks for my tank to get fully stocked with them. Of course I will put them into a quarantine tank first.

I think you simply got fish from a bad batch and you did nothing wrong. Nothing seems really out of place as far as the parameters go. The cards were most likely wild and probably had somehing wrong even before hitting the tanks at the LFS.

I'll keep you guys posted as I purchase more fish. If I send a post in a day or two, you'll know that something is wrong. Otherwise, you'll see some pics of my school to cardinal tetras in a few weeks.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Back
Top Bottom