what and how to do - 2 questions 1 thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amyb_70

Aquarium Advice FINatic
question 1 - i am freaking out aqadvisor is saying i am way overstocked and i have no clue what to do.. I have a 29 gal tank lightly planted with a driftwood and some river rocks. I do aprox 30-40% wc every 5-7 days. If i see the bottom looking messy i do the water change. If its clean i wait until day 7 (friday, when im home alone). i am housing 2 angelfish (less than a year old), 4, platy, 2 bumblebee goby (they were there before angels, the angels dont even acknowledge them), heres where its heavy for the bottom i have 5 albino cory, and 6 oto, bristlenose pleco (max size 4"). I am very fond of all of my fish and would really hate to have to rehome them, but if i have to i will have too...
(i do have a 20 long, livebearer tank which has 2 normal size guppies then the rest are fry. I would move something over there but i think the fry will all be snack and that would devastate my 6 yr old. I am hoping i can sell or give some away as they grow. obviously that will be way overstocked, common sense.
question 2: i have plant substrate w/ small amount of gravel mixed in, i want to make a thicker bed as this is only 1 bag and pretty thin. how do you suggest i go about adding the 2nd bag? should i remove all fish and plants and then add the substrate, should i leave the plants and fish in and slowly add substrate where i want it (this seems very time consuming and messy), do i remove just fish, or just plants.. what do you think is the best and safest way to add the other bag.?

I'd move the platies with guppies and have a livebearers tank

Fishobsessed7

Don't freak out.
My 45 gal tank has been over stocked for several years. I regularly test the water and I do weekly water changes. I rarely lose a fish.

I'd move the platies with guppies and have a livebearers tank

Fishobsessed7
Hi Fishobsessed, this is what one of my original plans were. I suppose I am a bit confused as to why or how i can be overstocked and looks so empty. Do the guys on the bottom really count as taking up that much space? also wont the platys eat the fry? do you think i can get away with waiting a little bit? i just added the otos and 2 cory cats over the past 2 weeks.?

Don't freak out.
My 45 gal tank has been over stocked for several years. I regularly test the water and I do weekly water changes. I rarely lose a fish.
may i ask what you have and do you think i am that over stocked?

You could wait till the rfry are large enough

Fishobsessed7

Thanks, you think that would be okay? The angels are around 4" from the highest top fin to the lowest point of the bottom fin, so body is like a half dollar, if your old enough to remember them. ?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hi Amy,
If you have fry hiding plants and other decor that allows safe haven then fry should live for the most part. Keep in mind adult guppies will also eat fry so you already stand a chance of losing some that way. I think a live bearer tank makes sense considering you currently have the space. Good luck!

Hi Amy,
If you have fry hiding plants and other decor that allows safe haven then fry should live for the most part. Keep in mind adult guppies will also eat fry so you already stand a chance of losing some that way. I think a live bearer tank makes sense considering you currently have the space. Good luck!

Hi egghead, 1st I have to laugh and share with you yrs ago when I was younger my brother always called me egghead, I don't know why but I took it as having a funny shape head leaving me scared for life. Lol. Just kidding about being scared but he really used to. Anyway to my livebearers. Right now I have only3 adult guppy and they max out at 1.5", so they are still small IMO, the rest range from 1 week old to maybe 1/3" at most. I'm surprised that they haven't bothered they fry and I'm not sure if it's luck, or possibly because they are all pretty small still. I'm afraid if I put a fat possibly pregnant platy in there she'll have a feast. I have some for plants but sand substrate so no plants do very well, also the babies are all over the place. I thought they would tend to hang out near the anacharis, but they don't. They swim freely with no fear. Not that I have a clue what to do when the babies grow up. It's looking like craigslist maybe my only option. Or sneak a few fry for the angels, UGH. The things I get myself into.

Hi amy
Haha! My username is egghead fish because my boyfriend calls my silver dollars the Eggheads and named them Benedict and Florentine because they're yellowish around the eyes and big and round lol
I wish I could offer better advice but I've never raised fry myself.
Java moss is pretty easy to grow and can be tied to decorations or left free floating (but at risk of being sucked into and clogging the filter) but apparently it's great for fry to hide in.
If the parents aren't munching them it might be the reason for the brazen free swimming behavior. Or they just don't know any better yet, I couldn't tell you. But if there was a predator in their midst they might be more inclined to hide. Either way I hope someone can help more than me!

How overstocked does aqadvisor.com say you are and what are your nitrate levels?

Hi there. Aqua advisor said I was at 100% with just the angel fish, adding the platy, Cory and oto I am ashamed to say it put me at 160%. I know this is why I'm so concerned, I never imagined it to be over or I wouldn't have done this. I feel pretty dumb.
I don't have my readings on hand but I know ammonia and nitrate (is that the one that goes with ammonia) are both 0, the other N one is at 20, then the GH & PH are in very safe zone. Sorry I don't have exact numbers.

Hi amy
Haha! My username is egghead fish because my boyfriend calls my silver dollars the Eggheads and named them Benedict and Florentine because they're yellowish around the eyes and big and round lol
I wish I could offer better advice but I've never raised fry myself.
Java moss is pretty easy to grow and can be tied to decorations or left free floating (but at risk of being sucked into and clogging the filter) but apparently it's great for fry to hide in.
If the parents aren't munching them it might be the reason for the brazen free swimming behavior. Or they just don't know any better yet, I couldn't tell you. But if there was a predator in their midst they might be more inclined to hide. Either way I hope someone can help more than me!

Hi from one egghead to another. :)
I just starting to try and grow java moss on rocks with netting. Not going so well yet. I am hoping to get thoughts from others after they see what my stocking is. I was blown away to see I was overstocked when it looks so empty. If the word from most is move them, then I will have to sacrifice the fry as they are way to small to try and rehome. Thank you for the suggestions? The baby tank had sand so growing plants is challenging

Back
Top Bottom