What are glofish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I love glofish. They bring colors that aren't common with freshwater fish and don't cause problems. They are as normal as fancy guppies or bettas.

A lot of dogs that we have as pets now come from genetically modified/bred for specific genes & attributes
These glofish are still living creatures & shouldn't call them disgusting in anyway

OBEYtheFISH said:
A lot of dogs that we have as pets now come from genetically modified/bred for specific genes & attributes
These glofish are still living creatures & shouldn't call them disgusting in anyway

Selective breeding is different than genetic modification. I don't think many dogs have genes from other species spliced in yet. Not saying that this is a good or bad thing, though. I do fear genetically modified food a little, though. At least until it has been proven safe.

So u all are saying that we should just shun these fish and let them die in the pet store. They are living creatures and can't help what has been done to them and deserve the love and respect that u give any other fish. It's not their fault.

I think they look sweet but I would much rather have the more natural look of neon tetras. But I think they would be great for people who like bright colored plants and gravel.

vanimal said:
I think they look sweet but I would much rather have the more natural look of neon tetras. But I think they would be great for people who like bright colored plants and gravel.

I agree. Especially the new glowing skirt tetras, they look pretty cool. I just don't like them for the look of my tank, just like I don't like "clown puke" gravel or neon fake plants. The most artificial thing I have in my tank is an abstract blown glass sculpture as a focal point. I'd put them in a kid's tank in a heartbeat, though.

I don't have any either everything in my tanks is all real. It just bothers me that people would shun these fish even though they might like the color because they were at one point years ago altered. My 5 year old likes them so I thinking about gettin her some.

So u all are saying that we should just shun these fish and let them die in the pet store. They are living creatures and can't help what has been done to them and deserve the love and respect that u give any other fish. It's not their fault.

Who says they are going to die in the pet store? Compared to the feeder fish tank in these pet stores I think they are doing quite well.

They are definitely living creatures and deserve to be treated like any other fish, but it doesn't mean anyone should feel compelled to buy them. Buying them just makes consumers complicit with the ethics and methods of those that are responsible for making them. Even if genetic modification isn't an ethical concern for someone, there is still the trademarking and copyrighting that they put on these animals. Yes, there is a copyright put on a living animal, and by purchasing them, we as consumers are responsible for funding and supporting a company to behave this way.

As a consumer I try not to patronize businesses that I don't agree with. If they have horrible fish care or bad customer service, if they sell tattooed or dyed fish, or if they have any other what I consider 'questionable' practices, then I think twice before supporting them with my dollar.

If that doesn't bother someone then they should go right ahead, at the end of the day it is their tank and they are the ones who have to look at it, so they should do as they wish.

Last edited:
They probably have a lower survival rate outside the pet store - considering they are recommended to be kept in 1 gallon desktop "tanks". I don't get how they list different tank requirements for glofish and danios. Danios are super zippy and I wouldn't want them in anything less than 20 gallons

Thank you, I was going to post this. It's not their fault they were genetically modified. Fish that are injected with dyes are not disgusting but the people that do it to the fish are. I think there is a big difference here.

Laser said:
Thank you, I was going to post this. It's not their fault they were genetically modified. Fish that are injected with dyes are not disgusting but the people that do it to the fish are. I think there is a big difference here.

True, not the fishes fault and yes I consider it cruel - but purchasing these dyed fish is only supporting the practice and creating supply and demand.

Yes but buying Bettas out of cups isn't helping either. Like you said, supply and demand is just making them put more bettas in cups :(

vanimal said:
Yes but buying Bettas out of cups isn't helping either. Like you said, supply and demand is just making them put more bettas in cups :(

I agree

I think the fact that bettas are brought to us in cups goes a little further than simple supply and demand, although that is certainly a part of it. The fact of the matter is that bringing any fish out of their environment or breeding them for aquarists can be considered cruel, because they are simply here for our enjoyment. I think no one would argue they would be much better off if we left them in their original environment.

Bettas are sold in cups simply because they can survive in them. It is the human capitalistic drive that puts them in cups. Lets say we say a 75% decrease in the sale of bettas. We might see 75% less bettas, but almost any bettas we see will be brought and sold to us in cups because that is the cheapest and most cost-efficient method of getting the fish to the consumer.

If any LFS cared enough they could remove their bettas from the cups and put them in 1 gallon cubicles until they were sold... with you know... filtered and circulating water.

I was talking to my neighbor who works at petsmart and he told me that the reason bettas are sold in the cups is beacuase they are so popular and have so many to sell, and being as you cant put a bunch of bettas in a tank togethor or put them in tanks with other fish because most males will either stress out or try to kill everything else, they sell them in cups. he says he doesnt like it, but that if they had a 1 gal cube on the wall for every single betta, that the would loose money.

Back
Top Bottom