What are these tiny and clear snails?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gianna

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi! I got some live plants a while ago but just today I noticed some snails and something else at the bottom of the tank. (Previous to seeing these I only own one Gold Inca Snail). Anyways today I saw some clear and very small snails in the tank. The biggest one I saw had a curved shell I believe. At the bottom of the tank I saw some brown dots moving around and there seemed to be quite a lot. Does anyone know what these are and how I can get rid of them and also prevent them? I also have guppies in the tank. Would it be best to just restart the whole tank?

Gianna,
I had a planted aquarium years ago. I did all kinds of research trying to build it right. I read that sometimes snails come into your tank, hitch hiking on the plants. It was suggested to me to dip new plants into a chemical, which I forget the name of, to kill any snails on the plants. Now the issue with getting rid of the snails. I have completely forgotten what I read about that. If you don't find you answer on this forum, look around for planted tank forums. I hope you find your answers.

Someone mentioned in the planted tank forums under the same post that they recommended assassin snails. However I haven’t heard about the stuff to dip plants in, I’ll try to find it online somewhere. Thank you

I just watched a video and looked up some stuff on what others said. The main one I heard of was a bleach solution (it was mixed with something else) and the other one was adding aquarium salt with water. (Of course both would be in a bucket and would be rinsed off after). Have you tried the aquarium salt one and did it work?

That makes sense, Salt:D..I used to put salt on garden snails and it would destroy them. Yeah get yourself a bucket of salt water and give it a try.

I just watched a video and looked up some stuff on what others said. The main one I heard of was a bleach solution (it was mixed with something else) and the other one was adding aquarium salt with water. (Of course both would be in a bucket and would be rinsed off after). Have you tried the aquarium salt one and did it work?

Aquarium salt probably wont work as it is magnesium sulphate. Sodium Chloride might kill snails but high levels sodium will also harm plants and fish.

Assassin snail is your best bet.

Okay. I ordered aquarium salt last night. Should I just take everything out in the tank and put it in aquarium salt? (Except the fish of course).

Okay. And that’s to prevent it correct?

Okay thank you! I ordered the aquarium salt last night and it’s coming today so I’ll try that first and if they’re still there I’ll get an assassin snail. I think I might just restart my tank and prevent it by dipping everything in aquarium salt when u buy stuff.

Yeah I’m sure it would help with that but there’s a ton of little eggs or bugs that I can’t seem to figure out what they are. I have another tank that’s going really good right now so I could restart it and quickly set it up with water from my other tank.

Back
Top Bottom