What can I do to ensure a smooth adjustment period for the fish i do have

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's fine I'm not too worried about the price. I just have some other stuff that I need also so it will just be easier to order it all through there. I need a new skimmer my other one took a dump. Any good suggestions for a skimmer for a 72 bow front? It has a 20 gal long sump so room shouldn't really be an issue. I'm kind of happy the one I had died it was a hang on back and I just kept using it because it worked. I was thinking about on of the reef octopus skimmers but any input would be great. Thanks

I like the octopus skimmers and have heard great things about the bubble magus ones as well. Then there's always the diablo 160 I believe it is, octopus skimmer that I'm eying myself. lol

and did i do anything wrong?

Glancing through this, it appears no one answered one of your original questions so I will. :) Let's see, several fish were about to be flushed, you jumped through hoops to ready a home for them as best you could, from what I can tell, only one didn't make it......I would say, no, you did a whole lot right. :thanks:

carey said:
I like the octopus skimmers and have heard great things about the bubble magus ones as well. Then there's always the diablo 160 I believe it is, octopus skimmer that I'm eying myself. lol

I don't even know which one to eye to be honest with you. I have heard double the size of your tank is this acurate?

Yep. Thats a good rule of thumb, if you are gonna invest in a skimmer it's one of those things where the most you can afford and the largest that will fit is the key. I wouldn't ever worry about over skimming, but there can be concerns when the skimmer is crap and doesn't pull anything. :)

Yeah I don't know exactly what my budget is for it but my wife usually sets it at 300 or 350 for big purchases like this so I would think I could get a pretty nice skimmer for that

Well then I would measure the skimmer area and see what your size constraints may be. You're good on the money part now to find what will fit. :-D
You'll even come in under budget I bet and that will make the wife happy. lol

what size is your tank again?

Well let's see... the refugium part of my sump is 12.5 by 18" I would like to keep some of the fuge if at all possible. I have some micro algea in there and rock and tons of pods growing for my mandarin. So id like to keep atleast half of it. I was looking at the octopus diablo 200 because I figured bigger is better and its still in my budget. All the reviews are stellar! I am open to as many ideas as you will throw my way honestly because I am still fairly new to the saltwater game

rdnelson99 said:
Glancing through this, it appears no one answered one of your original questions so I will. :) Let's see, several fish were about to be flushed, you jumped through hoops to ready a home for them as best you could, from what I can tell, only one didn't make it......I would say, no, you did a whole lot right. :thanks:

Thanks. Here is my next question. I am on well water. We use a reverse osmosis filter, so I have been using that. And between when I left for work and when I got home I had the beginnings of an algae bloom. I want to get a cuc but don't have the cash until I get paid. What can I do to keep e fish happy and the algae down ?

carey said:
How big is your skimmer area? Thats' key. :) I can go search a few to give you some ideas.

You ever get a chancce to go take a peek at skimmers? Any input would be great.

jumbaaa said:
Thanks. Here is my next question. I am on well water. We use a reverse osmosis filter, so I have been using that. And between when I left for work and when I got home I had the beginnings of an algae bloom. I want to get a cuc but don't have the cash until I get paid. What can I do to keep e fish happy and the algae down ?

Keep the lighting to a minimum. You can even cover the tank with a towel or blanket for a few days to black it out with no adverse effects. The algea will die pretty quickly with no light

ok cool. I was also picking up a couple of hermit crabs and snails from my LFS store today.

Yeah I just picked up a zebra turbo snail and a mexican turbo snail due to a rather large algea out break :( $10 later problem should be solved in a few days lol you can get a few bigger snails like I did if you want just make sure to feed the algea strips once the tank algea runs out

I run well water as well in my tank that I run through a RO/DI unit. I have had minor algae blooms, but they have been controlled minimizing lighting. If I have my 10k's on for to long, due to losing the timer on it, I'll come home from work and have it on my glass. Thankfully, there are days when I just run my actinics, as they still have a timer, and that keeps my corals happy and algae down. Simply scrub it with my magfloat.

I live in an apartment. Is there a way to set up n rodi system that would fill up the 5 gallon bucket over a couple of hours while I do odds and ends and then dis connect it?

Back
Top Bottom