what caused my tank water to become cloudy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aaronjohn20

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok, so I've had my fry tank set up for around 2 months now. Used old filter cartridge so pretty much an instant cycle happened. Running a tetra whisper filter (unsure of size but was on my 20g with no problems now its on my 10g fry tank), a sponge filter, heater, and bare bottom. Added some java moss, and let 2 mamas drop their fry, put 1 guppy fry and 1 variatus fry in with them. Removed mamas when done. Water params are all fine using an api freshwater master test kit. Ammo 0, trites 0, and trates were at 40. Water has turned cloudy as of last week. Anyone have any ideas? Sorry if I left anything out, if you need any more info, please ask.

Isn't 40 trates high? What does your base test out of the tap read for nitrates?

I'm just curious, I have something similar going on in my 3 month old tank but its a whisper10i in a 29 gallon with a Betta and 3 snails. It has cleared a bit over the last week.

40 on the trates is fine. Its borderline water change for me. Out of tap its not quite zero. I've got city water and the epa has strict limits on trates! Anything over 10ppm is a violation

Yup okay. I'm learning myself. My nitrates from the tap are between 5-10 ppm but I have a hard time seeing much difference on my color reference chart so possibly only 5.0, but I assumed 10.0 to be safe. For me the number of plants I have seems to reduce my nitrates between WCs, plus I have a low bioload for a 29 gallon.

If I'm not mistaken a bacterial bloom can happen just about any time & IME will clear up with water changes & making sure to do good vacuuming.

Back
Top Bottom