What causes sudden PH drop?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

imissmytruck

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have been trying to figure out what caused my sudden PH drop. My mystery snail has developed a bad case of shell rot...the guys at my LFS says it's a lack of calcium in the tank due to a PH drop. The only thing I've done different was changed from Prime to Seachems Alpha from the AquaVitro line to control my Nitrate. (which were sorta high even for a REALLY planted tank.)

The Nitrate level dropped. Fast. I was very happy. But now I cant figure out why the PH dropped so drastically.

Any ideas?

and to answer the normal questions. All levels are fine BUT the PH. In a planted 55g. I change about 40 to 50% of the water weekly when I have the time to be on top of the game....never go more than 2 weeks. Now I actually have to wait for the next one to bring my nitrate level a little higher for my plants.

The PH went down to 6.2 over night. About a week ago. The KH is 80 ppm. I had issues with high PH when I started so I did have several pieces of bog log, but have removed most of it.

Back
Top Bottom