What Chemicals are must haves?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheXevv

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Since I've been away from the hobby for 9 years. What chemicals am I going to need for my aquarium? I don't want to buy anything that is unnecessary. I do know that a master test kit is a must. I just recently threw away all my very expired chemicals. Some of which, I'm don't think are made anymore. At least I haven't seen them in the local pet stores. TIA.

Beyond a master test kit the only thing you really need is Seachem Prime. Will you be doing live plants? If so then a few more things become necessary.

Sent from my iPad using science

I agree a test kit and a water treatment. Other than that I like to keep some meds on hand and I have liquid ferts for my plants but those aren't necessary to have.

I'm thinking of going with silk type fake plants. I did have real plants long ago in an already established tank. I only used a fluorescent plant light made for aquariums. Unless you think real plants will be better?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I prefer real plants for the benefit they provide to the tank, but it's not always easy. You can always start with fake and then foray into live plants when you're ready. I'm just starting to keep live plants myself :)

Test kit and dechlorinator. When you're new one of the biggest mistakes is using chemicals to treat issues best addressed by water changes.

The exception is if your GH and KH are extremely extremely low. This is rare and your LFS should be able to tell you with a water test.

Seachem prime is a common favorite, I prefer API stress coat as a dechlorinator because I believe in the benefit of aloe as an anti inflammatory.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Test kit and dechlorinator. When you're new one of the biggest mistakes is using chemicals to treat issues best addressed by water changes.

The exception is if your GH and KH are extremely extremely low. This is rare and your LFS should be able to tell you with a water test.

Seachem prime is a common favorite, I prefer API stress coat as a dechlorinator because I believe in the benefit of aloe as an anti inflammatory.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.
Not new to owning an aquarium, just been away for 9 years. I just haven't had to cycle a tank in many years. I took a break from my aquariums after my Iridescent sharks died. My kids were very young and took all my time, so I decided to wait until they got older. My sharks did live 15 years and went through 4 moves and one of the moves was 3 states away. :)

I do remember the API stress coat, I used that for my sharks during the moves. I really loved that product. Thanks for reminding me of it. I'll pick up that when I buy my chemicals.

Back
Top Bottom