What coral for a 14g biocube with stock hood lights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Srt8bigm

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all
I have a 14g bio with two clowns, cuc, and live rock and would like to add some coral. The problem is im not sure what we could put in that would be fine without upgraded the hood lights. Would like some color and something my younger son could take care of, low maintenance. Please advise of what we can do. Thanks for any help

Hi there. You can easily add zooa's, mushrooms and leather corals without much issue. You could also add LPS like a torch or hammer coral as well. You are only limited byt the stock lights when it comes to very light needy creatures like anemones and clams and SPS corals.

Basically any coral that handles low to medium light levels. Depending on your level of experience, you also need to pay attention to ease of care, water movement and aggressiveness.

LiveAquaria.com has a good list of the differing definitions. Even if you don't order from them, you can still look at different types, just like Carey listed, to get an idea of the coral's requirements.

LEDs for my 29 Biocube will be a total of $200, and they would be less for a 14. They actually save you money in the long run because you do not gave to replace them every 6 months, like stock lighting. Plus you can have anything you want, lighting wise :)

LEDs for my 29 Biocube will be a total of $200, and they would be less for a 14. They actually save you money in the long run because you do not gave to replace them every 6 months, like stock lighting. Plus you can have anything you want, lighting wise :)

can I ask for a link for bio cube led's for $200? I've checked out nano tuners but they are way way pricey.

Thanks for the link! Do you know what the wattage is per LED? I couldnt find that information on the site.

Each is 3 Watts each. I literally just found that. I searched all yesterday, couldn't find it. If you click the link in the deecription, 3W is in the name.

Ouch. Only 60 Watts for a 29 Gallon. That is less than the stock lights!!!

I assumed all watts were the same and that it doesnt matter whether they are LEDs or PC. I could be wrong though.

So with the LEDs I posted, you would get 120 Watts, which is 4 watts per gallon for the 29, relative to 2.6 from PCs. I have not researched the LED Kit for the 14 Biocube.

SleepsWithFish said:
But isn't 3 watts of LEDs more that 3 watts of pc?

My logic behind that is that the marineland reef capable LEDs are 18 watts in all and supposedly they can house sps and other high light corals.

AHHH I WISH I COULD DELETE POSTS! haha the last two posts are incorrect, I thought I was on the first page:/ ***iPhone fail***

Back
Top Bottom