What corals to get?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom-tom

Aquarium Advice Activist
Well I have a 65g tank and it's just finished cycling so I'm going to get a clean up crew at the weekend

I was wondering, if I am to get clown fish, do I need to get a anome? And what other corals are the best for beginners?

Thanks in advance

An anenome is toally not necessary, in fact it's not recommended for young tanks and they require ALOT of light.

Oh ok, that's brill, I didn't think you needed one just me LFS trying to make money out of me, thank got there is another LFS opening around the corner, and it's a dedicated marine and corral shop.... Sweet
So any corrals you can recommend?

I'd start simple, some zooa's maybe a leather. Theres SOO many to choose from. I'd stay away from the sps ones, like birdsnests for now.

I didn't even ask, what kind of lights are you running?

Well at the moment 2 t5's but I've got a lighting unit I need to get bulbs for which holds 4 t5's 2 White 2 blue

Any good?

You can get some softies, like I mentioned above. I'd adjust them up if necessary in the tank. When you get the 4 bulb system running you should be set for others.

Mushrooms are a hardy beginner coral, frogspawn, kenya trees are also hardy. Most lps and softies should be ok.

The lighting unit is a 1200mm Arcadia with 4x 54w I just ordered 2 14000k blue t5's as well as 2x 10000k White t5's

What's the best cycle to put them on the blues in the morning and whites at midday?

Any suggestions?

The atinics on for an hour, then whites and atinics, then when the whites go out keep the atinics on for an hour after that. Then lights out or moonlight LED's if you have them, though they're not necessary.

Back
Top Bottom