what could i use to hold carbon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redruckus

Aquarium Advice Freak
i just purchased some active carbon that i thought was in mesh bags but its just loose.... what could i use that would be safe for my tank and wont degrade over time and let loose carbon mess up my pump

i have a huge sheet of poly wool i use for filter media i also use the clay things for bio media.. i dont want to buy filter socks for like 15 bucks for 2 my lfs charges up the @$$.... is there a cheaper alternative?

100% safe: no!
Nylon sock disolve in a toxic form with time and the lfs one are reusable for a years at least! So a pack of 2 can go for at least 2 years!

i just bouught one of those 1 liter cardbord milk things of active carbon and it cost me 15$ and they only sell the replacement filter media for certain filters and they are usualy pre made so idk ill try to find cheese cloth or a nylon stocking i replace my carbon every 4-5 months cuz it stops working after a while.... so idk i would like some ideas on this or a place i could buy cheep filter socks online... i recently moved and the local lfs knows its the only one around for like 5 hours so they get what they can

I run an eheim 2217 canister filter. Any media that I want to bag (bio media, carbon) I put in a polyester bag that I got 4/dollar at the dollar store. They're like small laundry bags.

I dont like using pantyhose because they are actually fairly flow resistant when wet

alright i will try going to the dollar store and get the mesh bag i just need the carbon filtration so i can put my new drift wood in the tank....

This is a question, not a suggestion... Could you lay down a layer of poly, layer of carbon, layer of poly, and make a poly/carbon sandwich filter?

You would probably be better served going coarse filter-carbon-poly as a lot of larger stuff will muck up your polyester really fast, but poly-carbon-poly should work. Definitely want your carbon contained somehow though (mesh bag, etc)

Eastern Washington represent!

well i have 2 bags of the clay biomedia stones and i couldnt do that carbon snadwich with my filter i wouldnt get the flow i wanted i need to use the bag of carbon just in the back of my hob.. aslo the black carbon poly wool only lasts for mayb 2-3 weeks then the carbon looses efectiveness

All carbon will loose effectiveness after a month or so (some say earlier, some say later). Go to ebay or amazon and look up filter bags or media bags. I know Hagan makes a universal bag, as well as specific bags fit the AC 50 & 70. There are also generic brands that perform a similar task.

Are you all talking about running carbon long term (all the time)? I was just wondering...I am running carbon right now to remove residual meds and to clear up my water. I bought a container of loose carbon and just filled a stocking I got from Walmart for $.33 a pair. But I won't be using it more than a week or two so longevity isn't an issue.

I just picked up a sheet of cheese cloth like nylon fabric mesh stuff i made a pouch bag out of it and its in now i dont know what kind of hob i have but there is a big space in the back that i have a bag of the ceramic bio pelet things and now the carbon i put in the new drift wood last night and im not seeing any yellowing from the tannins

Back
Top Bottom